What is the resultant electric field?

In summary, the problem involves finding the resultant electric field from three coherent sources, described by E1 = E0 sin omega t, E2 = E0 sin(omega t + phi), and E3 = E0 sin(omega t + 2phi). By representing the resultant field as EP = ER sin(omega t + alpha) and using phasors, the values of ER and alpha can be found for different values of phi. The algebraic solution can be derived by adding the three vectors graphically or by using components, but it can also be obtained by using geometry and trigonometry without the need for trig identities. The general algebraic solution can be found by considering arbitrary values of phi and E0.
shanepitts
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

The electric fields from three coherent sources are described by E1 = E0 sin omega t, E2 = E0 sin(omega t + phi), and E3 = E0 sin(omega t + 2phi). Let the resultant field be represented by EP = ER sin(omega t + alpha). Use phasors to find ER and alpha when (a) phi = 20.0 degree, (b) phi = 60.0 degree, and (c) phi = 120 degree. (d) Repeat when phi = (3pi/2) rad. Derive the general algebraic solution as well.

Homework Equations

sin(a+b)=sinacosb+cosasinb

E1+E2=ER

The Attempt at a Solution

image.jpg

Moreover, I am not sure how to calculate α and what is meant by deriving the general algebraic solution?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that you are required to find the sum of all three electric fields. Also, I think you are supposed to get the answer by drawing the phasors and getting the answer from your drawing without using trig identities.

Likes shanepitts
TSny said:
I believe that you are required to find the sum of all three electric fields. Also, I think you are supposed to get the answer by drawing the phasors and getting the answer from your drawing without using trig identities.

After finding the phase via the phaser diagrams, how could I find the algebraic solution?Should I use the trig identities?

You should be able to get the phase ##\alpha## and the amplitude ##E_R## from the phasor diagram without using trig identities. You just need geometry and trig functions.

Likes shanepitts
TSny said:
You should be able to get the phase ##\alpha## and the amplitude ##E_R## from the phasor diagram without using trig identities. You just need geometry and trig functions.

I'm interpreting "find the general algebraic solution" as "find the general solution in terms of arbitrary ##\phi## and## E_0##. The phasor diagram shows how the result is the sum of three vectors. So, you can get the result by adding the three vectors either graphically or by method of components. The method of components is kind of messy and I think you would need to use some trig identities to get to a simple final result. But, if you draw the phasor diagram, then you can get the result by using just geometry and trig functions without needing trig identities.

Likes shanepitts

Related to What is the resultant electric field?

What is the resultant electric field?

The resultant electric field is the combined electric field at a point in space due to multiple electric charges. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field.

How is the resultant electric field calculated?

The resultant electric field is calculated by vector addition. This means that the individual electric fields are added together, taking into account their magnitude and direction, to determine the overall resultant electric field.

What factors affect the strength of the resultant electric field?

The strength of the resultant electric field is affected by the magnitude and distance of the individual electric charges, as well as the direction of the electric field lines. The type of material the charges are in can also affect the strength of the resultant electric field.

Can the resultant electric field be negative?

Yes, the resultant electric field can be negative. This occurs when the individual electric fields are acting in opposite directions, leading to a cancellation of the overall electric field at a certain point.

What is the unit of measurement for resultant electric field?

The unit of measurement for resultant electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is measured in dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).