What is the result of the sum of binomial coefficients with alternating signs?

S is equal to $S = \frac{(-1)^n(6n)!(2n)!}{(4n)!(3n)!n!}$, which can be proven using the hint $(1-x^2)^m(1+x)^{2m}=(1-x)^m(1+x)^{3m}$. In summary, the sum S is equal to $S = \frac{(-1)^n(6n)!(2n)!}{(4n)!(3n)!n!}$, and this can be proven using the given hint.
hxthanh
Evaluate sum:

$\displaystyle S=\sum_{k=0}^{2n}(-1)^k{2n\choose k}{4n\choose 2k}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hxthanh said:
Evaluate sum:

$\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=0}^{2n}(-1)^k{2n\choose k}{4n\choose 2k}$
I believe that the answer must be \(\displaystyle S = \frac{(-1)^n(6n)!(2n)!}{(4n)!(3n)!n!}\), but I have NO idea how one might prove that.

What I did was to calculate $S_n$ when $n=1,\,2,\,3$, and then look those numbers up in the OEIS. This gave the above formula, and suggested that the next result, when $n=4$, would be $104006$. I then laboriously calculated $S_4$, and found that it is indeed $104006$. So my proposed formula has predictive value and therefore must be correct. (Wasntme) Now perhaps somebody can tell me why.

Opalg said:
I believe that the answer must be \(\displaystyle S = \frac{(-1)^n(6n)!(2n)!}{(4n)!(3n)!n!}\), but I have NO idea how one might prove that.
Your result is absolute correct!(Clapping)
Hint: [sp] $(1-x^2)^m(1+x)^{2m}=(1-x)^m(1+x)^{3m}$[/sp]

Good luck! (Sun)

My solution
We start from the formula $(1-x^2)^m(1+x)^{2m}=(1-x)^m(1+x)^{3m}$
Now applying the binomial theorem
We have: $$ \sum_{k=0}^m (-1)^k{m\choose k}x^{2k} \sum_{j=0}^{2m} {2m\choose j}x^j = \sum_{k=0}^m (-1)^k{m\choose k}x^k \sum_{j=0}^{3m} {3m\choose j}x^j$$

\begin{equation} \label{eq1}\tag{1}\Leftrightarrow \sum_{k=0}^m \sum_{j=0}^{2m}(-1)^k {m\choose k} {2m\choose j}x^{2k+j} = \sum_{k=0}^m \sum_{j=0}^{3m} (-1)^k {m\choose k}{3m\choose j}x^{k+j} \end{equation}
compare coefficient of $x^{2m}$ in $\eqref{eq1} $ then we get
$\displaystyle \quad\sum_{2k+j=2m}(-1)^k {m\choose k} {2m\choose j}=\sum_{k+j=2m}(-1)^k {m\choose k} {3m\choose j}$
$\displaystyle \Leftrightarrow \sum_{k=0}^m(-1)^k {m\choose k} {2m\choose 2m-2k}=\sum_{k=0}^m (-1)^k {m\choose k} {3m\choose 2m-k}$
$\displaystyle \Leftrightarrow \sum_{k=0}^m(-1)^k {m\choose k} {2m\choose 2k}=\sum_{k=0}^m (-1)^k {m\choose k} {3m\choose m+k}$

with $m=2n$ then
\begin{equation} \label{eq2} \begin{aligned} S&=\sum_{k=0}^{2n}(-1)^k {2n\choose k} {4n\choose 2k}=\sum_{k=0}^{2n} (-1)^k {2n\choose k} {6n\choose 2n+k} \\ &=\sum_{k=0}^{2n} \dfrac{(-1)^k(2n)!(6n!)}{k!(2n-k)!(2n+k)!(4n-k)!} \\ &=\dfrac{(2n)!(6n)!}{(4n)!(4n)!} \sum_{k=0}^{2n} \dfrac{(-1)^k(4n)!(4n!)}{k!(4n-k)!(2n+k)!(2n-k)!} \\ &= \dfrac{(2n)!(6n)!}{(4n)!(4n)!} \sum_{k=0}^{2n} (-1)^k {4n\choose k} {4n\choose 2n-k} \\ &= \dfrac{(2n)!(6n)!}{(4n)!(4n)!} \sum_{k+j=2n} (-1)^k {4n\choose k} {4n\choose j}\tag{2} \end{aligned} \end{equation}
next to formula $(1-x^2)^{4r}=(1-x)^{4r}(1+x)^{4r}$
we get $ \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{4r}(-1)^k {4r\choose k}x^{2k}=\sum_{k=0}^{4r} \sum_{j=0}^{4r} (-1)^k {4r\choose k} {4r\choose j}x^{k+j}$
now, compare coefficient of $x^{2r}$ in that then we get
\begin{equation} \label{eq3}\tag{3} (-1)^r {4r\choose r}=\sum_{k+j=2r}(-1)^k {4r\choose k} {4r\choose j}\end{equation}
From $\eqref{eq2}$ and $\eqref{eq3}$, we have:
$$S=\dfrac{(2n)!(6n)!}{(4n)!(4n)!}\cdot(-1)^n{4n\choose n}=\dfrac{(-1)^n(2n)!(6n)!}{n!(3n)!(4n)!}$$

Last edited:

The sum given is a combination of binomial coefficients, which are commonly used in probability and statistics. The expression represents the sum of all possible combinations of choosing k objects from a set of 2n objects and then choosing 2k objects from a set of 4n objects. The alternating sign of (-1)^k indicates that the terms in the sum will alternate between positive and negative values.
To evaluate this sum, we can use the Binomial Theorem, which states that (a+b)^n can be expanded into a sum of binomial coefficients. In this case, a=1 and b=-1, so we can rewrite the expression as (1-1)^{6n}, which simplifies to 0. Therefore, the sum S is equal to 0.
This result may seem counterintuitive, as we would expect the sum to be a positive value. However, the alternating signs of the coefficients and the large number of terms in the sum cause the values to cancel each other out, resulting in a final value of 0. This can also be seen by considering the symmetry of the expression, where for every positive term there is a corresponding negative term.
In conclusion, the sum of binomial coefficients given by the expression is equal to 0. This result is important in understanding the properties of binomial coefficients and their applications in probability and statistics.

Related to What is the result of the sum of binomial coefficients with alternating signs?

1. What is the sum of binomial coefficients?

The sum of binomial coefficients refers to the sum of all the coefficients in a binomial expansion. A binomial expansion is the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a power, such as (a + b)^n. The sum is calculated by adding the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you calculate the sum of binomial coefficients?

The sum of binomial coefficients can be calculated using the formula: (1 + 1)^n = 2^n. This formula is derived from the binomial theorem, which states that the sum of the coefficients in a binomial expansion is equal to 2^n, where n is the exponent of the binomial expression.

3. What are some applications of the sum of binomial coefficients?

The sum of binomial coefficients has many applications in mathematics, statistics, and probability. It is used in combinatorics to determine the number of combinations or arrangements of objects. In statistics, it is used to calculate probabilities in binomial distributions. It is also used in algebra and calculus to simplify equations and expressions.

4. How does the sum of binomial coefficients relate to Pascal's triangle?

Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers above it. The coefficients in the expansion of (a + b)^n can be represented in Pascal's triangle, with the nth row representing the coefficients of the binomial expansion. The sum of the coefficients in each row of Pascal's triangle is equal to 2^n, which is the sum of binomial coefficients.

5. Can the sum of binomial coefficients be used to find the coefficient of a specific term in a binomial expansion?

Yes, the sum of binomial coefficients can be used to find the coefficient of a specific term in a binomial expansion. This can be done by using the general formula for the coefficients of a binomial expansion, which is nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the exponent and r is the term number. By substituting the values of n and r into this formula, you can find the coefficient of the desired term.