What is the result of rotating an ellipse with eccentricity n2/n1 in optics?

In summary, the homework statement states that the surface S that delimits the 2 mediums is a revolution surface around the z-axis. Light rays start at point F_1 and all the rays going through the surface reach the plane \Sigma in a same amount of time. S is the result of rotating an ellipse with eccentricity \frac{n_2}{n_1}.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Assume that the surface S which delimits the 2 mediums is a revolution surface around the z-axis. Light rays start at point [tex]F_1[/tex] and all the rays going through the surface reach the plane [tex]\Sigma[/tex] in a same amount of time.
Show that S is the result of rotating an ellipse with eccentricity [tex]\frac{n_2}{n_1}[/tex].

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]t=\frac{d}{v}[/tex].
[tex]t_0=\frac{l_0 n_2}{c}[/tex], [tex]t_1=\frac{l_1 n_1}{c}[/tex].
Hence the time taken for any ray to go from [tex]F_1[/tex] to [tex]\Sigma[/tex] is [tex]t=\frac{1}{c} (l_0 n_2 +l_1n_1)=K[/tex].
Therefore [tex]\frac{l_0}{n_1}+\frac{l_1}{n_2}=\frac{Kc}{n_1n_2}[/tex].
I know that the eccentricity is defined as [tex]e=\sqrt {1-\frac{b^2}{a^2}[/tex]. The problem I'm facing is that I don't have the equation of an ellipse yet.
Have I to find K?
I'll try something.

Physics news on Phys.org

I cannot visualize the problem. Can you attach the diagram?

rl.bhat said:
I cannot visualize the problem. Can you attach the diagram?

Oops, I forgot to attach it. By the way I've been thinking about it, but I'm still stuck.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 322

you have already derived the equation
lo*n2 + l1*n1 = K*c.
Two properties of ellipse are
i) AF2/AD = e (eccentricity)
AF2 = e*AD.
ii) AF1 + AF2 = 2a = constant.
AF1 + e*AD = 2a.
lo + e*l1 = 2a.
Compare this equation with
lo*n2 + l1*n1 = K*c.
In the ellipse e<1.
In the diagram, ray is moving away from the normal after refraction. So n1<n2.
Hence eccentricity cannot be n2/n1 as you have expected in the problem.

Last edited:

rl.bhat said:
you have already derived the equation
lo*n2 + l1*n1 = K*c.
Two properties of ellipse are
i) AF2/AD = e (eccentricity)
AF2 = e*AD.
ii) AF1 + AF2 = 2a = constant.
AF1 + e*AD = 2a.
lo + e*l1 = 2a.
Compare this equation with
lo*n2 + l1*n1 = K*c.
In the ellipse e<1.
In the diagram, ray is moving away from the normal after refraction. So n1<n2.
Hence eccentricity cannot be n2/n1 as you have expected in the problem.
Oh nice... I wasn't aware of many properties.
So I'm at the point of [tex]l_0+\frac{n_1 l_1}{n_2}=\frac{Kc}{n_2}[/tex].
Now if I can show that [tex]2a=\frac{Kc}{n_2}[/tex] then [tex]e=\frac{n_1}{n_2}[/tex].

I have that [tex]n_2 l_0 +l_1n_2e=2an_2[/tex]. Now if [tex]e=\frac{n_1}{n_2}[/tex] I have that all works and [tex]K=\frac{2an_2}{c}[/tex].
Thanks a lot once again. Problem solved!

Related to What is the result of rotating an ellipse with eccentricity n2/n1 in optics?

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points is a constant.

How does a rotating ellipse relate to optics?

A rotating ellipse is often used in optics to demonstrate the principles of light polarization. When a linearly polarized light passes through a rotating elliptical polarizer, its polarization state changes, allowing for the study of the properties of light.

What is an optical rotary polarimeter?

An optical rotary polarimeter is a scientific instrument that measures the rotation of the plane of polarization of light as it passes through a sample. It typically consists of a light source, polarizer, sample holder, and analyzer to measure the angle of rotation.

What factors can affect the rotation of an ellipse in optics?

The rotation of an ellipse in optics can be affected by various factors, such as the refractive index of the material, the thickness of the sample, and the wavelength of the light passing through it. Temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the rotation of an ellipse.

What are some applications of rotating ellipses in optics?

Rotating ellipses have various applications in optics, including polarimetry, ellipsometry, and spectroscopy. They are also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food, and cosmetics to measure the concentration and purity of substances. In addition, rotating ellipses are used in the study of biomolecules and their interactions with light.