What is the rest mass of the composite particle after a relativistic collision?

In summary, the problem involves a stationary particle being hit by another particle with kinetic energy. The goal is to find the rest mass of the composite particle afterward. This can be solved using conservation of momentum and energy, but the provided explanation may be difficult to understand. The equation used is m_{0} \gamma (u) u = M_{0} q \gamma(q) and the ratio \frac{M_{0}}{m_{0}} is needed, but it is eliminated in the equation. More clarification is needed to solve the problem.
Void123

Homework Statement

A stationary particle of rest mass [tex]2m_{0}[/tex] is hit by a particle of rest mass [tex]m_{0}[/tex] and kinetic energy [tex]2m_{0} c^{2}[/tex]. I must find the rest mass of the composite particle afterward.

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked problems with identical mass and velocity, but I don't exactly know what to do with this particular problem. I'm still having trouble understanding the explanation my book provided, so I was hoping someone can give me a more lucid elaboration of this whole phenomenon.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I have so far.

[tex]m_{0} \gamma (u) u = M_{0} q \gamma(q)[/tex]

[tex]m_{0} \gamma (u) + 2m_{0} = M_{0} \gamma (q)[/tex]

[tex]M_{0}[/tex] is the rest mass of the composite particle, [tex]q[/tex] its velocity, and [tex]u[/tex] the velocity of the inertial particle before it strikes the stationary one.

The problem is the ratio [tex]\frac{M_{0}}{m_{0}}[/tex], which is what I need, is eliminated.

I don't know where to proceed from here.

Related to What is the rest mass of the composite particle after a relativistic collision?

1. What is a relativistic collision?

A relativistic collision is when two objects with significant speeds approaching the speed of light collide with each other. In this scenario, the laws of classical mechanics are no longer applicable and must be replaced with the laws of relativity.

2. What is the difference between a relativistic collision and a non-relativistic collision?

In a non-relativistic collision, the objects involved have speeds much lower than the speed of light. This allows for the use of classical mechanics to accurately predict the outcome of the collision. In a relativistic collision, the objects involved are moving at speeds close to the speed of light, which requires the use of the laws of relativity.

3. How do you calculate the final velocities of the objects in a relativistic collision?

The calculation for the final velocities in a relativistic collision is more complex than in a non-relativistic collision. It involves using the equations for relativistic momentum and energy, as well as the conservation of momentum and energy principles.

4. What is the significance of Einstein's theory of relativity in understanding relativistic collisions?

Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity, is essential in understanding relativistic collisions. This theory provides the mathematical framework for calculating the effects of high speeds on objects, including the effects on momentum and energy in a collision.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding relativistic collisions?

Yes, understanding relativistic collisions is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics. Relativistic collisions are also important in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.