What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor in v-i graph

In summary, the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor (lamp) is the ratio of the voltage to the current.
chetan:)
What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor (lamp) in v-i graph given a voltage?
I thought it would be the gradiant for specific voltages.
But apparentlly it is the ratio of the specific voltage/current which makes sense too.
So what is the correct out of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
is voltage on the x-axis and current on the y or the other way around .
if voltage is on the x-axis then the slope of that line would be 1/R
if current is on the x-axis then the slope of that line would be R
using I=V/R

Last edited:
For a non-ohmic resistor, the ratio V/I is not necessarily the same as the slope of the curve.

If y = x^2, then x = 3 implies y = 9 so y/x = 3, but dy/dx = 6.

Since resistance is defined via Ohm's law the resistance is the ratio, not the slope.

dulrich said:
For a non-ohmic resistor, the ratio V/I is not necessarily the same as the slope of the curve.

If y = x^2, then x = 3 implies y = 9 so y/x = 3, but dy/dx = 6.

Since resistance is defined via Ohm's law the resistance is the ratio, not the slope.

I'm not sure I'm understanding which one you are promoting, but the impedance is definitely the slope of the line:

Z = dV/dI

This is used all the time in circuit analysis.

I was arguing on the opposite side. I'm not an expert on electronics, so I defer to you. Is there a difference between impedance and resistance? I was thinking in terms of DC voltage.

dulrich said:
I was arguing on the opposite side. I'm not an expert on electronics, so I defer to you. Is there a difference between impedance and resistance? I was thinking in terms of DC voltage.

If all the components are resistors, then impedance = resistance.

If some of the components are non-liinear (like diodes for example), then impedance = Z = dV/dI, and it is still real.

If some of the coponents are reactive (inductors and capacitors), then you get a complex Z = dV/dI, with real and imaginary (in-phase and quadrature-phase) components.

Related to What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor in v-i graph

What is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor in v-i graph?

The resistance of a non-ohmic resistor in a v-i graph is not constant and varies with the applied voltage. This means that the resistance cannot be represented by a single value and is not linear like an ohmic resistor.

Why is the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor not constant?

The resistance of a non-ohmic resistor is not constant because its resistivity changes with the applied voltage. This can be due to various factors such as temperature, material properties, and composition.

How does a non-ohmic resistor behave in a v-i graph?

A non-ohmic resistor will have a curved line in a v-i graph instead of a straight line like an ohmic resistor. As the voltage increases, the resistance also increases, resulting in a nonlinear relationship between voltage and current.

Can the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor be calculated from a v-i graph?

No, the resistance of a non-ohmic resistor cannot be calculated from a v-i graph as it varies with the applied voltage. To calculate the resistance, the voltage and current values at a specific point on the graph would need to be known.

What types of materials exhibit non-ohmic behavior?

Materials that exhibit non-ohmic behavior are typically semiconductors, insulators, and some types of metal alloys. These materials have a nonlinear relationship between voltage and current, leading to varying resistance values in a v-i graph.