What is the relationship between torque and frictional force in this system?

In summary: So the force on C must be directed perpendicular to the surface that C is rolling on. In this case, the force is pointing up the ramp.
Joe Armas

Homework Statement

In the picture

Homework Equations

Torque = I * Alpha
10951894_10200266867310554_1551086073_n.jpg

Alpha = a / r
Fnet = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I provided my work in the pictures. I figured out that the frictional force in system B is greater than in system A. I am not sure how to compare this with the frictional force from system C. I figured out the sum if the frictional forces of A and B are equal to mg sin theta, but don't know how the two compare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answers to (a) and (b) look good to me. According to (b), objects B and C have the same net force. Look at your free body diagrams for objects B and C. If you add the forces in the diagram for B do you get the same net force as the diagram for C?

What should be the direction of the friction force on C to make it rotate in the right direction for rolling down the plane?

TSny said:
Answers to (a) and (b) look good to me. According to (b), objects B and C have the same net force. Look at your free body diagrams for objects B and C. If you add the forces in the diagram for B do you get the same net force as the diagram for C?

What should be the direction of the friction force on C to make it rotate in the right direction for rolling down the plane?
So Friction force on C is pointing up the ramp and its magnitude is equal to friction force on B? The frictional force on C is kinetic not static correct?

Joe Armas said:
So Friction force on C is pointing up the ramp and its magnitude is equal to friction force on B?

Yes, that's the only way Fnet,B can equal Fnet,C.

The frictional force on C is kinetic not static correct?

To answer this, remember that the statement of the problem says that C rolls without slipping.

Related to What is the relationship between torque and frictional force in this system?

1. What is the difference between torque and frictional force?

Torque is a force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while frictional force is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. How are torque and frictional force related?

Torque can be affected by frictional force, as friction can create resistance or drag on the rotation of an object.

3. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance between the axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The magnitude of frictional force can be affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the force applied on the surfaces, the angle of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants.

5. How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, making surfaces smoother, and applying a force in a direction that minimizes the contact area between surfaces.