What is the relationship between tornadoes and dew point?

• Thread starter vmedica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tornado
In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving the pressure and velocity of air in a tornado. The participants are stuck on parts 2b, c, and d of the problem. They discuss using equations from previous parts and integrating to find the solutions. They also consider assumptions such as irrotational flow and rigid body flow. The conversation ends with one participant researching the tornado and how water condenses due to adiabatic cooling, and trying to solve part d using the equation for pressure and the pressure at which water condenses.
vmedica

Homework Statement

I am currently stuck on parts 2b,c and d of this problem.
http://www.wopho.org/download/Theoretical_3_Tornado.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 2b, I use the the equation from part 2a and just integrate. I know that as we exit the tornado, the pressure should be atmospheric pressure so I can solve for the constant. but the problem that I have is the ln(r) term. I can choose a sufficiently small r such that the pressure is negative which does not make sense.

2c) I'm assuming it related to part 2b) so I have left that out for now.

For part 2d) I think that the solution would involve something about the dew point in air but when I type for information regarding the dew point into Google, I just get complicated formulae. Could someone perhaps suggest a website where I can get more information about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
vmedica said:
For part 2b, I use the the equation from part 2a and just integrate.
Since v = v(r), I don't understand how you can "just integrate" that equation. Seems to me you need another equation from somewhere. E.g. if we assume irrotational flow except at the centre, v ~ 1/r; or if we treat it as rigid body, v ~ r. Either way, the DE gives you a formula for P=P(r), and doesn't seem to contradict any given info. Maybe I'm missing something.
Oh, and please post your working.

For my working, P=∫ρairv2/r dr and then I got a ln(r) term which I can now see is wrong. For a later part (3b inside the tornado) they assume that it is a rigid body so so v~r. Would it be sensible to assume irrotational flow and what other things exhibit this kind of flow? Also, would the method then become:

v=k/r
dP=ρairk2/r3dr
Now I integrate and use the contidion that when r=rc, v=vc to solve for k. Then I use that as P=Patm as r→∞ to eliminate the constant of integration.

vmedica said:
For my working, P=∫ρairv2/r dr and then I got a ln(r) term which I can now see is wrong. For a later part (3b inside the tornado) they assume that it is a rigid body so so v~r. Would it be sensible to assume irrotational flow and what other things exhibit this kind of flow?
The standard treatment of a vortex is that it is irrotational flow, except in a core region, where it is more like rigid body. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex. I was not at all sure which you were expected to use, or maybe some fancier relationship that encompasses both.
Also, would the method then become:

v=k/r
dP=ρairk2/r3dr
Now I integrate and use the contidion that when r=rc, v=vc to solve for k. Then I use that as P=Patm as r→∞ to eliminate the constant of integration.
Looks right.

Thanks for your help. I have been researching the tornado and wikipedia says the water condense due to adiabatic cooling. I know that means P1-γTγ=constant and they also give γ suggesting this is perhaps the correct approach to part d). I understand that with the equation for pressure, i need to equate this to the pressure at which water condenses but how can I do this?

Related to What is the relationship between tornadoes and dew point?

1. What is the average speed of a tornado?

The average speed of a tornado is around 110 miles per hour, but they can reach speeds up to 300 miles per hour.

2. Can tornado speeds be accurately measured?

Yes, tornado speeds can be accurately measured using Doppler radar, which uses the principle of the Doppler effect to measure wind speed and direction.

3. What is the fastest recorded tornado speed?

The fastest recorded tornado speed was 318 miles per hour, which was recorded in 1999 in Oklahoma during the Bridge Creek-Moore tornado.

4. Are tornado speeds constant throughout the entire tornado?

No, tornado speeds can vary throughout the tornado, with the strongest winds typically occurring at the center or "eye" of the tornado.

5. How do tornado speeds compare to other severe weather events?

Tornado speeds are generally faster than other severe weather events, such as hurricanes and thunderstorms. However, the duration of tornado events is much shorter, with most tornadoes only lasting a few minutes.