What is the relationship between resistivity and the Ohm meter?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ohm
In summary, resistivity (symbolized by ρ) is calculated by dividing the electric field (E) by the current density (J). The electric field is determined by dividing voltage (V) by the length (l) it is applied over, while the current density is calculated by dividing current (I) by the cross sectional area (A) over which it flows. The symbol for ohm meter is usually shown with a "dot" between ohm and meter, and it represents ohm times meter. This convention is based on the units used to derive it.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
I just need a clarification, I have been through a dozen www sites and cannot find an answer

they show how resistivity is worked out eg ...

E/J = ρ

As you already read, ρ is the symbol for resistivity. E is the electric field and has units of Volts per meter (V/m). J is the current density and has units of amps per meter squared (A/m2). The electric field is calculated by dividing the Voltage by the length, l, that voltage is applied.

E=V/l

The current density is calculated by the equation below

J=I/A

I is the current and is divided by the cross sectional area, A, over which the current flows.

the Ohm meter is usually shown with a "dot" between Ohm and metre
Is this the same as Ohm times metre ? or Ohms per metre or something else?

I would have thought that Ohms per metre would be Ohms/metre ?

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think it's ohm x meter, as it doesn't make sense that way. It looks to me like it's just convention based on the units used to derive it.

It's ohm x meter, otherwise the dimensions of the units wouldn't make sense for your first equation, i.e:

E/J [V/m/(A/m^2) = V/A*m = Ω*m]

Hmm. Guess I must have misunderstood the math. Whoops.

That's OK Drak :wink: you probably still had a better grasp than me

thanks milesyoung

appreciate the clarification. It was something that wasn't taught in my electronics classes many years ago

and if I was ... refer to my signature :smile:

Dave

Last edited:

Related to What is the relationship between resistivity and the Ohm meter?

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of the resistance of a material to the flow of electric current. It is the intrinsic property of a material that determines how easily it can conduct electricity.

2. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is measured in units of Ohm metres (Ωm) using a device called an Ohmmeter, which applies a small voltage to the material and measures the resulting current. The resistivity value is then calculated using the formula ρ = R x A/L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is the cross-sectional area of the material, and L is the length.

3. What factors affect resistivity?

The resistivity of a material is affected by several factors, including temperature, composition, and impurities. In general, materials with a higher resistivity are poorer conductors of electricity.

4. Why is resistivity an important concept in science?

Resistivity is an important concept in science because it helps to explain the behavior of materials in electrical circuits. It is also a fundamental property of materials that is used in many applications, such as designing electronic devices and calculating the efficiency of power transmission.

5. How does resistivity differ from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current, while resistivity is a measure of the intrinsic property of a material that determines its resistance. In other words, resistivity is an inherent property of a material, while resistance can vary depending on factors such as the size and shape of the material.