What is the relationship between period, frequency, and angular velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of period, frequency, and angular velocity in relation to rotational motion. It is clarified that there is no such thing as centripetal velocity and that angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second, but can also be measured in revs/minute or RPM. A "revolution" is equivalent to ##2\pi## radians.
bfusco

Homework Statement

im confused on something. if the period is the amount of time to make 1 spin once, and the frequency is the inverse of that, i don't understand how frequency isn't the same thing as centripetal velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:

Homework Statement

im confused on something. if the period is the amount of time to make 1 spin once, and the frequency is the inverse of that, i don't understand how frequency isn't the same thing as centripetal velocity.

I have heard of Centripetal acceleration, but never centripetal velocity??

Do you perhaps mean angular velocity ω - which I have often seen written in radians per second, not (full) cycles per second, so they would vary by a factor of 2∏

bfusco said:

Homework Statement

Perhaps because there's no such thing as centripetal velocity? :smile:

Are you thinking of angular velocity? The units of that are radians per second. This is not the same thing as cycles per second (frequency), since in rotational motion a "cycle" comprises ##2\pi## radians of angular distance. Thus ω = ##2\pi f##.

gneill said:
Perhaps because there's no such thing as centripetal velocity? :smile:

Are you thinking of angular velocity? The units of that are radians per second. This is not the same thing as cycles per second (frequency), since in rotational motion a "cycle" comprises ##2\pi## radians of angular distance. Thus ω = ##2\pi f##.

wait...can angular velocity be calculated in revs/minute, or radians/sec? i thought that the revs/min was "centripetal velocity", and radians/sec was angular velocity

bfusco said:
wait...can angular velocity be calculated in revs/minute, or radians/sec? i thought that the revs/min was "centripetal velocity", and radians/sec was angular velocity

RPM, RPS, and radians/sec are all measures of angular velocity. They are all related by conversion actors. A "revolution" is ##2 \pi## radians.

gneill said:
RPM, RPS, and radians/sec are all measures of angular velocity. They are all related by conversion actors. A "revolution" is ##2 \pi## radians.

oh...didnt know that

Related to What is the relationship between period, frequency, and angular velocity?

1. What is velocity and how is it related to frequency and period?

Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction. It is related to frequency and period through the formula v = λf, where v is velocity, λ is wavelength, and f is frequency. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its velocity also increases.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave can be calculated by dividing the velocity of the wave by its wavelength. The formula for frequency is f = v/λ. This means that as the wavelength of a wave increases, its frequency decreases.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and period?

Frequency and period are inversely related. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, its period decreases. The formula for period is T = 1/f, where T is period and f is frequency. This means that as the frequency of a wave doubles, its period is cut in half.

4. How does wavelength affect the period of a wave?

Wavelength and period are directly related. As the wavelength of a wave increases, its period also increases. This can be seen in the formula T = λ/v, where T is period, λ is wavelength, and v is velocity. This means that as the wavelength of a wave doubles, its period also doubles.

5. How are velocity, frequency, and period used to describe waves?

Velocity, frequency, and period are all important characteristics used to describe waves. Velocity describes the speed and direction of a wave, while frequency describes the number of waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. Period is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle to pass a given point. Together, these three measurements provide a complete description of a wave.