What is the relationship between particles and waves in QED?

In summary, everything is a particle whose position is predicted by a mathematical wave. Light is not a wave but is packet of energy whose position is predicted by the wave.The same goes for an electron. Interference pattern is a probability distribution of where we are likely to find an electron. When you measure the position of an electron, you find find it at a specific location.But when you do that a lot of times you get an interference pattern.
Shreya
Homework Statement
So i was learning some basic quantum Physics especially wave Particle Duality. And I wrote a paragraph about it. Here it is:
Relevant Equations
👇
"Everything is a particle whose position is predicted by a mathematical wave. Light is not a wave but is packet of energy whose position is predicted by the wave.The same goes for an electron. Interference pattern is a probability distribution of where we are likely to find an electron. When you measure the position of an electron, you find find it at a specific location.But when you do that a lot of times you get an interference pattern."

I am not sure if this is right. Are there any misconceptions that you notice?
Please be kind to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shreya said:
Homework Statement:: So i was learning some basic quantum Physics especially wave Particle Duality. And I wrote a paragraph about it. Here it is:
Relevant Equations:: 👇

"Everything is a particle whose position is predicted by a mathematical wave. Light is not a wave but is packet of energy whose position is predicted by the wave.The same goes for an electron. Interference pattern is a probability distribution of where we are likely to find an electron. When you measure the position of an electron, you find find it at a specific location.But when you do that a lot of times you get an interference pattern."

I am not sure if this is right. Are there any misconceptions that you notice?
Please be kind to help.
It's not really correct at all. A particle's dynamic properties (e.g. position and momentum) are described by a wave-function. You're missing the key concept that the wave-function does not describe where the particle is but (probabilistically) where you will find the particle if you measure its position.

Quantum interference is not at all as you have describe it.

Likes Shreya
PeroK said:
You're missing the key concept that the wave-function does not describe where the particle is but (probabilistically) where you will find the particle if you measure its position.
Actually, that's what I meant by 'predict'. 😅 Wrong terminology on my part.
PeroK said:
Quantum interference is not at all as you have describe it.
I'm sorry but I haven't heard about quantum interference (What's it?). What I wrote was about the interference pattern in Young's double slit experiment done on electrons (or rather electron diffraction).

All I meant about quantum interference is that:
Once you measure the position of an electron, you get a point. And we you do that for a lot of electrons you get a probability distribution like the one below. The point I wanted to make was that electrons are particles (and are not spread in space) and the wavefunction is purely mathematical.

I also wanted to how does the photon picture correlate with the EM wave one?

Attachments

• 300px-Wave-particle_duality.gif
    300px-Wave-particle_duality.gif
    256.5 KB · Views: 79
Shreya said:
All I meant about quantum interference is that:
Once you measure the position of an electron, you get a point. And we you do that for a lot of electrons you get a probability distribution like the one below. The point I wanted to make was that electrons are particles (and are not spread in space) and the wavefunction is purely mathematical.

I also wanted to how does the photon picture correlate with the EM wave one?
You have a double-slit interference pattern that can be described by classical wave mechanics. Are you asking for the purely QM description?

There are already several threads about that on here.

The simplest description is that the slits act as a measurement of lateral position and by the uncertainty principle create an uncertainty in lateral momentum. This explains single slit diffraction. The Superposition of the two single slit wave functions causes the interference pattern.

In other words, uncertainty and probability replace classical wave diffraction.

Note that uncertainty by itself is not interference.

Likes Shreya
PeroK said:
The simplest description is that the slits act as a measurement of lateral position and by the uncertainty principle create an uncertainty in lateral momentum. This explains single slit diffraction. The Superposition of the two single slit wave functions causes the interference pattern.
That was really helpful. Thank you! 😊
Could you please help me with the photon confusion too in post #5? @PeroK & @phystro?

Shreya said:
That was really helpful. Thank you! 😊
Could you please help me with the photon confusion too in post #5? @PeroK & @phystro?
The behaviour of light is governed by QED ( Quantum Electrodynamics). There is an introductory book by Feynman about it. This describes how things like reflection, refraction and diffraction work in the QED model.

Likes Shreya

Related to What is the relationship between particles and waves in QED?

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between particles and electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the relationship between particles and waves in QED?

In QED, particles are described as excitations or disturbances in a field, while waves are described as oscillations or fluctuations in the same field. This means that particles and waves are two different ways of understanding the same phenomenon in QED.

3. How do particles and waves interact in QED?

In QED, particles and waves interact through the exchange of virtual particles. These virtual particles, such as photons, are responsible for the forces between particles and the propagation of waves.

4. Can particles and waves be described by the same equations in QED?

Yes, in QED, particles and waves can be described by the same set of equations known as the Dirac equation. This equation combines both particle-like and wave-like properties, allowing for a unified description of particles and waves.

5. What implications does the relationship between particles and waves in QED have on our understanding of the universe?

The relationship between particles and waves in QED has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of the universe. It helps us to understand the behavior of matter and energy at the subatomic level and provides a framework for understanding the fundamental forces of nature, such as electromagnetism.