What is the relationship between partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Euler's chain rule and the "splitter" to solve for the derivative of z with respect to y at constant u, which results in \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} \left[ \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \right]. The conversation also mentions the "inverter" property and how it can be used to reciprocate a partial derivative. Additionally, it discusses using this method to compare relationships at different constant conditions
Jacobpm64
Show that: [tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} \left[ \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} - \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \right] [/tex]

I have Euler's chain rule and "the splitter." Also the property, called the "inverter" where you can reciprocate a partial derivative.

If I write Euler's chain rule, I only know how to write it when there are 3 variables, I usually write it in the form:
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{z} \left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}\right)_{x} \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_{y} = -1 [/tex]

Where I can write x,y,z in any order as long as each variable is used in every spot. However, I do not know how to work this chain rule if I have an extra variable (u in this case).

I also tried using the "splitter" to do something like writing:
[tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \right)_{u} = \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)_{u} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial y}\right)_{u} [/tex]

However, I do not know what to do with this because I have the term
[tex] \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)_{u} [/tex] , which doesn't appear in the original problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(This is for a thermodynamics course, but we are still in the mathematics introduction.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write dz as

[tex]dz=\left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right)_y dx + \left(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right)_x dy[/tex]

Now differentiate both sides with respect to y at constant u, and continue trying out Euler's chain rule in various places, and you should have it.

Woot I got it.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Cool. That trick is useful if you want to compare relationships at different constant conditions. For example, which is larger, heat capacity at constant pressure or constant volume? Expand entropy the same way:

[tex]
dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V dT + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T dV
[/tex]

[tex]
\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_p=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p
[/tex]

[tex]
T \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_p-T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V =C_p-C_V=T \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p=T \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p=-T\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial V}\right)_p^{-1}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}\right)_T^{-1}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_p=\frac{\alpha^2 V T}{\beta}
[/tex]

Since all these terms are positive (thermal expansion can be negative, but it's squared), constant pressure specific heat is always higher.

Related to What is the relationship between partial derivatives in thermodynamics?

1. What is a partial derivative relation?

A partial derivative relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two or more variables in a multivariable function. It represents how much one variable changes in response to a change in another variable while keeping all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative relation different from a regular derivative?

A partial derivative relation is different from a regular derivative because it takes into account multiple variables, while a regular derivative only focuses on one variable. In a partial derivative relation, all other variables are treated as constants, whereas in a regular derivative, all variables are considered to be changing.

3. What is the notation used for partial derivative relations?

The notation used for partial derivative relations is similar to regular derivatives, but with a slight difference. In a partial derivative, the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken is specified with a subscript, such as ∂z/∂x, where z is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

4. What is the purpose of using partial derivative relations?

Partial derivative relations are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze complex systems with multiple variables. They help in understanding how changes in one variable affect the overall system and aid in making predictions and optimizations.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial derivative relations?

While partial derivative relations are a powerful tool in understanding multivariable systems, they do have some limitations. They can only be used for functions that are differentiable, and they may not accurately represent the behavior of a system if there are non-linear relationships between the variables. Additionally, they may not be applicable in cases where the variables are discrete instead of continuous.