What is the relationship between mass and velocity in orbits?

In summary, the satellites A and B have masses of 1000kg and 2000kg respectively, and are both in orbit 250km above the surface of the earth. The orbital speed of satellite A will be the same as satellite B, as the speed of an object in orbit is dependent on its distance from the center of mass and not on its mass. For the second question, if the distance between two masses is decreased to one-half its original value, the force of gravity will increase by a factor of 4. Therefore, the force of gravity will be 144 N.
Dooga Blackrazor
Satellite A has a mass of 1000kg. Satellite B has a mass of 2000kg. BOth are in orbit 250km above the surface of the earth. Satellite A will have an orbital speed that is ____ satellite B.

1. the same as.
2. four times that of.
3. twice that of.

Not really sure on this. I originally said half that of and it was incorrect.

The gravitational force between two masses is 36 N. If the distance between the mass is decreased to one-half its original value, the force of gravity will be:

1. 144 N
2. 9 N
3. 18 N

My original answer was 72 N, and I forgot to square the radius if I remember correctly. So I am fairly confident the answer is 144 N.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A hint for your first question: does the trajectory of a particle in a given gravitational field depend on its mass? In other words, if a satellite is moving around the Earth at a given radius in a circular orbit, does its speed depend on its mass?

A hint for your second question: the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

Very Briefly, cos I've got to go in a minute.
[tex]F_g = \frac{GM_eM}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_c = \frac{Mv^2}{r}[/tex]
Therefore...
[tex]v = \sqrt{\frac{GM_e}{r}}[/tex]
Where M_e is the mass of the earth, and M is the mass of the object in orbit, so the velocity of the two will be the same as long as the radius of orbit is the same.:wink:

Related to What is the relationship between mass and velocity in orbits?

What is the Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation, also known as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, states that any two objects in the universe are attracted to each other with a force directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Who discovered the Law of Gravitation?

The Law of Gravitation was discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He developed this law while studying the movements of planets and moons in our solar system.

How does the Law of Gravitation affect objects on Earth?

The Law of Gravitation is responsible for the force of gravity on Earth. This means that all objects on Earth, regardless of their mass, are pulled towards the center of the Earth with the same acceleration.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to the Law of Gravitation?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. The Law of Gravitation states that the gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses, but weight also takes into account the acceleration of gravity on Earth.

Does the Law of Gravitation apply to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Law of Gravitation applies to all objects in the universe. However, the strength of the gravitational force between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. The larger the masses and the smaller the distance, the stronger the gravitational force will be.