What is the relationship between frequency range and GBW in amplifiers?

In summary, the conversation discusses an op-amp with a frequency range of 20Hz - 20kHz and whether this is the same as bandwidth. It also mentions a 40 dB amplification and questions whether the GBW is equal to A_v * BW = 100 * 20k = 2 MHz. The conversation ends with questions about the type of amplifier and the reason for the lower cut-off frequency.
Omsin
I have an op-amp with frequency range 20Hz - 20kHz. Is frequency range the same as bandwidth?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's say I have 40 dB amplification and frequency range of 20 Hz - 20 kHz

Is my GBW = A_v * BW = 100 * 20k = 2 MHz?

Omsin said:
Is frequency range the same as bandwidth?

in this context ... yes

what is the op-amp ? ... that's a really narrow freq range

Omsin said:

will let some one else answer that

Omsin said:
No, not in general - the definition of the GBW is based on the assumption of a single-pole roll-off.
A specification of an upper frequency limit does not automatically imply a 1st-oder system.
What kind of amplifier are you speaking of? What is the reason for the lower cut.off frequency?

Related to What is the relationship between frequency range and GBW in amplifiers?

1. What is the definition of frequency range?

The frequency range refers to the range of frequencies within a signal or wave, typically measured in hertz (Hz). It represents the lowest and highest frequencies that can be transmitted or detected in a given system.

2. How is frequency range different from frequency?

Frequency refers to the number of cycles per second in a wave, while frequency range encompasses the entire spectrum of frequencies that a system is capable of transmitting or detecting. Frequency range is a broader term that includes both the minimum and maximum frequencies, while frequency is a specific measurement of a single frequency.

3. What factors affect the frequency range of a system?

The frequency range of a system can be affected by various factors, such as the type of medium the wave is traveling through, the components and design of the system, and external influences such as interference or noise. In general, the higher the quality and precision of the system, the wider its frequency range will be.

4. How is frequency range important in scientific research?

Frequency range is crucial in scientific research as it allows scientists to analyze and study various phenomena and signals within a wide spectrum of frequencies. This can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of different materials, systems, and processes.

5. Can frequency range be modified or expanded?

Yes, frequency range can be modified or expanded through the use of different components and techniques such as amplifiers, filters, and frequency converters. However, there are limitations based on the capabilities and design of the system, as well as the physical properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.