What is the relationship between $f$ and $X$?

In summary, the notation $f:X\to X$ implies that both the domain and codomain of $f$ are $X$, and $f(X)\subseteq X$ means that the image of the domain is a subset of the codomain. A self-mapping, or endofunction, is a function whose domain and codomain are the same. The term "invariant map" is not commonly used, but an invariant set is a subset of the domain that remains unchanged under the function. Therefore, $f$ is a self-mapping if it satisfies $f(X)\subseteq X$, but the converse is not always true.
ozkan12
let f:X to X be and f(X) C X...then f is invariant..if f is invariant, then f is self map on X ? is it true ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The notation $f:X\to X$ means that both the domain and the codomain of $f$ are $X$. By definition, the image of the domain is a subset of the codomain, i.e., $f(X)\subseteq X$.

As for terminology, there are apparently difficulties arising from translation. A function whose domain and codomain coincide is called an endofunction or self-mapping, though these are not very popular terms. If $f:X\to X$ and $A\subseteq X$, then $A$ is called an invariant set if $f(A)\subseteq A$. An example is an invariant subspace of a linear vector space.

that is, for f:X >>>X if f(X)CX then f is selfmapping ? is it true, I don't understand...

ozkan12 said:
that is, for f:X >>>X if f(X)CX then f is selfmapping ?
The condition $f(X)\subseteq X$ is superfluous. A function $f$ is called a self-mapping if $f:X\to X$. In this case, $f(X)\subseteq X$ holds automatically.

I recommend you start learning LaTeX by clicking on the "Reply With Quote" button under a post and examining how others type mathematical formulas.

I understand but if f(X)⊆X I say f is invariant map...is it true ? I asked this ?

I am not familiar with the term "invariant map".

ok I understand.. İf f: X to X then f(X)⊆X..I know this...but İf f(X)⊆X then f is selfmaping ? is it true ? I really wonder this

ozkan12 said:
İf f(X)⊆X then f is selfmaping ?
What is $X$ here?

X is non empty set and X is metric space

I meant, what is the relationship between $f$ and $X$?

In general, no, $f(X)\subseteq X$ does not mean that $f$ is a self-mapping. The latter means that both the domain and the codomain of $f$ are $X$. At least, according to the link I gave.

Related to What is the relationship between $f$ and $X$?

1. What is an invariant map?

An invariant map is a function that preserves a certain property or structure of an object. This means that when the object is transformed or manipulated in some way, the property or structure remains the same.

2. How is an invariant map different from a self map?

An invariant map is a function that preserves a property or structure of an object, while a self map is a function that maps an object to itself. In other words, a self map does not change the object, while an invariant map may change the object but still preserve a certain property or structure.

3. What are some real-life examples of invariant maps?

Some examples of invariant maps in real life include rotation and translation in geometry, conservation of energy in physics, and isometries in computer graphics.

4. How are invariant maps used in scientific research?

Invariant maps are used in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science, to study and understand the behavior of objects under different transformations. They help us identify and analyze the properties and structures that remain unchanged in a system.

5. Can an invariant map be bijective?

Yes, an invariant map can be bijective, meaning it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This means that the map preserves the property or structure of the object while also maintaining its uniqueness.