What is the Relationship Between EM Wave Velocity and Electric Field in Space?

In summary, the author is trying to find the velocity of EM waves as a function of \epsilon_{0} and \mu_{0}, but is having trouble with the equation.
kasse

Homework Statement

Find the velocity of EM waves as a function of [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] and [tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

[tex]E = E_{0}cos(kx-\omega t)[/tex]

Using [tex]v= \frac{\omega}{k}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
When you used Maxwell's equations to derive the wave equation, you should have ended up with an answer to this :wink:

No, I didn't. But I can substitute my expression for E into the wave equation. What is [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex]?

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial t^{2}}[/tex]?

kasse said:
No, I didn't.

Last time I checked, Maxwell's equations were in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex] not [itex]c[/itex]; so you should have ended up with a wave equation where the propagation speed is in terms of [itex]\epsilon_0[/tex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex]...if you didn't, then you did something wrong...I think you should go back to that problem and show me your work.

double

Of course...

So [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex] (only spatial dimension, not time)?

Did you even read my last post?

Yes.[tex]\frac{1}{v^{2}} = \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}[/tex], so [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}} = v[/tex]. That's what you meant, right?

That would mean that (if I substitute my expression for E into the wave equation) [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex].

Can I also write [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial \vec{r}^{2}}[/tex]?

Last edited:
kasse said:
Yes.[tex]\frac{1}{v^{2}} = \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}[/tex], so [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_{0}\mu_{0}}} = v[/tex]. That's what you meant, right?
Yes.

That would mean that (if I substitute my expression for E into the wave equation) [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial z^{2}}[/tex].

Can I also write [tex]\vec{\nabla}^{2}E = \frac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial \vec{r}^{2}}[/tex]?

First, the electric field is vector, not a scalar so this relation is incorrect...second what does this have to do with finding v...or anything else for that matter? :confused:

Related to What is the Relationship Between EM Wave Velocity and Electric Field in Space?

1. What is the velocity of electromagnetic waves?

The velocity of electromagnetic (EM) waves is a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) or 186,282 miles per second (mi/s) in a vacuum. This is often denoted by the symbol c, which stands for the Latin word "celeritas" meaning speed.

2. How is the velocity of EM waves related to the speed of light?

The speed of light is the same as the velocity of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum. In fact, the speed of light is often referred to as the speed of EM waves. This is because light is just one type of EM wave, and all EM waves travel at the same velocity in a vacuum.

3. Can the velocity of EM waves change?

In a vacuum, the velocity of EM waves remains constant and cannot be changed. However, when EM waves travel through a medium such as air, water, or glass, their velocity can be slowed down. This is because the particles in the medium interact with the EM waves, causing them to travel at a slower speed.

4. How is the velocity of EM waves measured?

The velocity of EM waves can be measured using various methods, including the use of specialized equipment such as lasers and oscilloscopes. One common method is to measure the time it takes for an EM wave to travel a known distance and then use the formula v = d/t (velocity = distance/time) to calculate the velocity.

5. Why is the velocity of EM waves important?

The velocity of EM waves is important for various reasons, including its role in the propagation of radio waves and the behavior of light. It also has important implications in fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and physics. Understanding the velocity of EM waves allows us to better understand and utilize these waves in various applications.