What is the relationship between electrical and gravitational potential energy?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate and compare the electrical potential energy and gravitational potential energy of two protons separated by 1 nm. The final goal is to determine the mass of hypothetical particles that would have equal gravitational attraction and electromagnetic repulsion. The suggested method is to calculate the work done in separating the particles from a distance of infinity to 1m, using the formulas for gravity and electrical force. The original questioner asks for assistance with this task.
ussrasu
I have no idea what principles i am supposed to use in this question? Could someone show me how to do this question please? Thanks :smile:

Calculate the electrical potential energy of two protons separated by 1 nm, and compare it with their gravitational potential energy. Estimate how heavy hypothetical particles (with the same charge e) must be in order not to repel each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the EPE and find the GPE, compare how strong they are. Then find the mass that each proton would need to have so that their gravitational attraction would equal their electromagnetic repulsion.

I don't know how to do it - with the small amount of info given? Can someone show me how to work it out please?

Thanks! :smile:

You should try doing your own homework.. that problem is very do-able, all the information is given.

"potential energy" is equal to the work done in separating the objects.

Imagine one of the protons and calculate the work done in moving the other from a distance of infinity to 1m (I started to say from 0 to infinity but that's the wrong way- the force between them is infinite at 0 distance!).

The work is, of course, [tex]\int_{x= \infty}^1 F(x)dx[/tex] where F(x) is the force at distance x.

For gravity that is [tex]F(x)= \frac{-Gm^2}{x^2}[/tex] and for electrical force that is [tex]F(x)= \frac{q^2}{x^2}[/tex] where m and q are the mass and charge on the proton. (Am I missing a constant in the electrical force formula- this isn't my "area of expertise!)

Related to What is the relationship between electrical and gravitational potential energy?

1. What is electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential of an object to do work or create a force on other objects due to its electric charge.

2. How is electrical potential energy measured?

Electrical potential energy is measured in joules (J). It can be calculated by multiplying the charge (Q) of an object by the potential difference (V) between two points in an electric field, using the formula E = QV.

3. What factors affect electrical potential energy?

The two main factors that affect electrical potential energy are the amount of electric charge and the distance between the charges. The greater the charge or the closer the charges are to each other, the higher the electrical potential energy.

4. How is electrical potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge. In other words, it is the amount of work required to move a unit of charge from one point to another in an electric field. Therefore, electrical potential energy is directly related to electric potential.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential energy has many practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, generating electricity in power plants, and creating electric fields for various purposes, such as controlling the motion of charged particles in particle accelerators.