What is the relationship between electric charge and electrons?

In summary: he was the one who came up with the idea that the current should flow in the direction of the positive charges.
kfa
I'm currently doing electricity in my high school physics. What is the difference between 'negative electric charges' and 'electrons'?:confused:

Likes hamad12a
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose they are the same thing. Electrons are the smallest unit of (negative) electric charge.

The material things around us are made of atoms. Atoms have a positively charged nucleus (the proton by convention has a positive charge), and the nucleus is surrounded by negatively charged electrons. Electrons are the mobile charges.

When we talk about negative charge, this really refers to electrons as Repetit mentioned. When one refers to a positive charges, in reality it means there is a lack of electrons. Natures tries to remain electrically neutral.

One can encounter positive charges, e.g. a free proton or ion, which one might encounter in atomic or nuclear physics, or in chemistry problems.

There are also positively charged electrons (positrons), but they occur under special conditions and do not survive very long.

However, when it comes to electricity/electronics, the negative charges are the electrons, and currents almost always refer to the movement of electrons. The current is always oppositve the motion of the electrons, because someone in the past decided that the direction of the current should be in the direction of 'positive' charges. I found that terribly confusing when I first learned about electricity.

"Negative electric charges" is a rather more general category than "electrons." A particle with negative electric charge is anything that is electrically repelled by an electron. This includes other electrons, muons, taus, antiprotons, cascade minuses, pi minuses, and a whole host of others sorts of particles. However, the only stable particles with negative charge are electrons and antiprotons. All the others will decay into electrons or antiprotons plus uncharged particles.

Astronuc said:
The current is always oppositve the motion of the electrons, because someone in the past decided that the direction of the current should be in the direction of 'positive' charges. I found that terribly confusing when I first learned about electricity.

If I remember my history correctly, I think you can thank Ben Franklin for that...

Related to What is the relationship between electric charge and electrons?

1. What is the difference between electric charge and an electron?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it will interact with electromagnetic fields. An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge. In other words, an electron is a type of electric charge.

2. How are electric charge and electrons related?

Electric charge is carried by particles such as electrons. These particles are either positively or negatively charged, and they interact with each other through the electric force. The amount of electric charge an object has is determined by the number of electrons it has.

3. Can an object have electric charge without having electrons?

No, all objects with electric charge have electrons. This is because electrons are the fundamental particles that carry electric charge. However, there are other particles, such as protons, that also carry electric charge.

4. How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units called coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the amount of charge carried by approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons. This is known as the elementary charge, which is the smallest unit of electric charge.

5. What is the role of electrons in electricity?

Electrons play a crucial role in electricity. When electrons move from one atom to another, they create an electric current. This flow of electrons is what powers electrical devices, such as light bulbs and computers. Without electrons, electricity as we know it would not exist.