What is the Relationship Between Bandwidth and RLC Circuit Parameters?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solutions for angular frequency in a circuit by manipulating the equations for current and resonance frequency. The solutions are represented by ω1 and ω2, which correspond to two different values of angular frequency when the current is 1/sqrt(2) of the resonance current. The conversation also discusses the importance of considering both positive and negative roots in finding the solutions.
IBY

Homework Statement

and

Homework Equations

I am trying to get from:

[tex]I_{max}=\sqrt{2}I=\frac{V}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^2}}[/tex]

to:

[tex]\Delta\omega=\omega_1-\omega_2=\frac{R}{L}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation above:
[tex]\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^2}=\frac{V}{\sqrt{2}I}[/tex]

Square the above:
[tex]R^2+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^2=\frac{V^2}{2I^2}[/tex]

Subtract from both sides R squared and square root:
[tex]\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C}=\sqrt{\frac{V^2}{2 I^2}-R^2}[/tex]

Now, I want to put it in the form of quadratic equation, so I multiply omega:
[tex]\omega^2 L-\frac{1}{C}=\omega \sqrt{\frac{V^2}{2 I^2}-R^2}[/tex]

Now I am stuck. It is not like I can turn V/I=R because that I there is root square mean current, and even if I did, I would end up with an imaginary term. The answer is not imaginary, nor complex.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do ω1 and ω2 represent?

They represent the two solutions of angular frequency when the current of the circuit is 1/sqrt(2) of the resonance current (Imax).

The current is resonant when:

[tex]\omega=\frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/tex]

That is because it turns this:

[tex]I=\frac{V}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^2}}[/tex]

into this:

[tex]I=\frac{V}{R}[/tex]

Last edited:
Okay, I looked further into it, and my mistake was to assume that the first equation was equal to Imax, so instead, I changed it like this:

[tex]\frac{I_{max}}{\sqrt{2}}=I=\frac{V}{\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C})^2}}[/tex]

Doing the same process from above gives me:
[tex]\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C}=\sqrt{\frac{V^2}{I^2}-R^2}[/tex]

But since I=Imax/sqrt(2), that gives me:
[tex]\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C}=\sqrt{\frac{2 V^2}{I_{max}^2}-R^2}[/tex]

I can finally turn V/Imax into R:
[tex]\omega L-\frac{1}{\omega C}=\sqrt{2 R^2-R^2}=R[/tex]

I set up the quadratic polynomial:
[tex]\omega^2 L-\frac{1}{C}-\omega R=0[/tex]

And then the formula:
[tex]\omega_1=\frac{R+\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]
and
[tex]\omega_2=\frac{R-\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]

But now I have another problem. When I subtract both solutions, the R/2L term disappears and that leaves the term in the squareroots.

I didn't actually work this out, but I can see how this works from the original equation for the impedance. You're looking at the wrong two roots. One frequency should satisfy

[tex]\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C} = +R[/tex]

while the other satisfies

[tex]\omega L - \frac{1}{\omega C} = -R[/tex]

Somewhere along the way, you took a square root, and you need to consider both the positive and negative roots.

Oh right, thanks. One more problem, though, that leaves me with 4 solutions. The two of them is the one mentioned in my last post above, and two of them would be with the Rs in front shifted into negative.

Just to help you visualize the four solutions:

[tex]\omega_1=\frac{R+\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_2=\frac{-R+\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_3=\frac{R-\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]

[tex]\omega_4=\frac{-R-\sqrt{R^2+4 \frac{L}{C}}}{2L}[/tex]

Last edited:
The sign on two of those is negative. You can toss those solutions.

I see that if I subtract omega 1 with 2, that gives me the correct solution, but why do I toss out omega 3 and 4, though? Why wasn't the negative R tossed out? It seems completely arbitrary.

In the expression for ω3, is the radical less than or greater than R? Similarly, what's the sign of ω4?

Oh, because in those cases, angular frequency would turn out negative, and there is no such thing. It would turn out negative because R^2 is being added by 4L/C, and since without the 4L/C, the square root term would be R, then that square root term must be greater than the R outside the square root. Thanks!

Related to What is the Relationship Between Bandwidth and RLC Circuit Parameters?

What is the bandwidth of an RLC circuit?

The bandwidth of an RLC circuit refers to the range of frequencies over which the circuit can effectively transmit signals. It is typically measured in hertz (Hz) and is determined by the values of the circuit's resistance, inductance, and capacitance.

How is the bandwidth of an RLC circuit calculated?

The bandwidth of an RLC circuit can be calculated using the formula: BW = 1/RC, where BW is the bandwidth in hertz, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula assumes that the circuit is in a series configuration.

What factors affect the bandwidth of an RLC circuit?

The bandwidth of an RLC circuit is affected by the values of its resistance, inductance, and capacitance. A higher resistance or inductance will result in a narrower bandwidth, while a higher capacitance will result in a wider bandwidth. The quality of the components used can also impact the bandwidth.

Why is the bandwidth of an RLC circuit important?

The bandwidth of an RLC circuit is important because it determines the range of frequencies that can be transmitted through the circuit without significant loss or distortion. It also affects the stability and performance of the circuit, particularly in applications such as filtering and signal processing.

How can the bandwidth of an RLC circuit be increased?

The bandwidth of an RLC circuit can be increased by decreasing the values of the resistance and inductance, or by increasing the value of the capacitance. Using higher quality components or adjusting the circuit's configuration can also improve the bandwidth. However, increasing the bandwidth may also result in a decrease in other performance parameters, such as selectivity and gain.