What is the Relationship Between Angular Momentum and Swing Angle for a Rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bullet impacting a rotating rod and the use of conservation of angular momentum or energy to solve it. After various attempts at a solution, the use of energy conservation is suggested as the preferred method. The conversation also discusses the calculation of the bullet's angular momentum about the point of impact and the importance of considering the bullet's angular momentum when using conservation of angular momentum. Finally, the conversation mentions the need to account for the energy used to create a hole in the rod when using energy conservation.
roam

Homework Statement

I need some help with the following problem:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg62/scaled.php?server=62&filename=problem1p.jpg&res=landing

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I used the conservation of angular momentum (since there is no external torque):

[itex]L_{before} = mv(\frac{L}{2})[/itex]

[itex]L_{after} = m \left( \frac{v}{2} \right) \left( \frac{L}{2} \right) + \frac{mL^2}{3} \omega_o[/itex]

Lbefore = Lafter

[itex]mv(\frac{L}{2}) = m \left( \frac{v}{2} \right) \left( \frac{L}{2} \right) + \frac{mL^2}{3} \omega_o[/itex]

Solving for ωo:

[itex]\omega_o = \frac{3mv}{4ML}[/itex]

Is this correct?

(ii) I'm very confused by this part. How do I know what v must be in order for the rod to swing at 90°?

I know that the distance the rod has moved is equal to: s=L(90°). And here is the equation for torque:

[itex]\tau = mgL \sin \ 90 = m \frac{d \omega}{dt} = m \frac{d \frac{3mv}{4ML}}{dt}[/itex]

However the RHS becomes 0 when I differentiate it with respect to time. So how can I solve this? How else can I express v in terms of m, M, L, and g?

Any help is really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For this question, I think it is easier to use conservation of energy as your equations would imply that the bullet has angular momentum with respect to the point A.

If you use the energy method, you would just have KE of bullet before = KE of bullet after + KE of rod.

Similarly, for the second part, since you know the rod is being displaced exactly 90 degrees, this means that it does not go past 90 degrees. So what kind of energy will it possess?

rock.freak667 said:
For this question, I think it is easier to use conservation of energy as your equations would imply that the bullet has angular momentum with respect to the point A.

If you use the energy method, you would just have KE of bullet before = KE of bullet after + KE of rod.

So why can't we use the conservation of angular momentum? Does this mean the expression I've obtained for ωo is wrong?
Similarly, for the second part, since you know the rod is being displaced exactly 90 degrees, this means that it does not go past 90 degrees. So what kind of energy will it possess?

Gravitational potential energy? So the equation would become:

1/2 m v2 = mgL + 1/2 m (v/2)2.

Is that it?

roam said:
So why can't we use the conservation of angular momentum? Does this mean the expression I've obtained for ωo is wrong?

For you expression of the bullet's angular momentum before and after impact, you used mv(L/2) and m(v/2)(L/2). But the bullet isn't rotating about point A.

roam said:
Gravitational potential energy? So the equation would become:

1/2 m v2 = mgL + 1/2 m (v/2)2.

Is that it?

Yes.

Hello roam,
The rod is rotating about A right?So the angular momentum of the bullet should be calculated about A (at the instant) .This implies that the angular momentum of the bullet is exactly double of the value you gave.It should reflect in your answer as well.Energy conservation gives twice the value of the angular velocity compared to your answer if my calculations are correct.For the second part try conserving energy of rod by converting rotational energy of the rod to potential energy.Or much better as rock points out use conservation of energy directly on both .Just another thing ,if i suppose A as my reference point of 0 zero P.E. the rod's center of mass lies midway ,right? So if you suppose 90 degree rotation the rod only rises by a height of L/2.So in your equation
1/2 m v^2 = mgL + 1/2 m (v/2)^2.
I think the modification should be as
1/2 m v^2 = mgL/2 + 1/2 m (v/2)^2.
Correct me if I am wrong.rock.freak667
The bullet does have an angular momentum about the "point A" .As far as I know we define Angular momentum as L=m(rXv).At the instant of the collision r vector form A to the bullet and bullet's velocity vector make an angle of 90 degrees with none of them being zero.This gives rise to a non zero angular momentum.Angular momentum has been attempted to be conserved because the question regards the collision as very short ,as such the rod deflects by an infinitesimal angle so that gravity doesn't have a torque on rod or bullet about point A .And as for the later calculations I believe energy conservation is the only way out as the the system has the torque due to gravity(in later cases),isnt it? Please do tell
Correct me if I am wrong.
regards
Yukoel

Energy conservation applies only on the rod after the bullet left it. It is not valid for the whole process, as some energy is used to make a hole in the rod.
Write up the kinetic energy of the road after the bullet just left it in terms of its moment of inertia and initial angular velocity. That becomes equal to the final potential energy: mgL/2, as Yukoel pointed out.

ehild

Related to What is the Relationship Between Angular Momentum and Swing Angle for a Rod?

1. What is meant by the angle of swing for a rod?

The angle of swing for a rod refers to the angle at which the rod moves from its resting position when subjected to an external force or load. It is a measure of the deflection or movement of the rod.

2. How is the angle of swing calculated?

The angle of swing can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically the tangent function. The angle is equal to the inverse tangent of the ratio of the deflection or displacement of the rod to its length.

3. What factors affect the angle of swing for a rod?

The angle of swing for a rod can be affected by several factors, including the material and stiffness of the rod, the magnitude and direction of the external force, and the boundary conditions of the rod (i.e. how it is fixed or supported).

4. Why is the angle of swing important in engineering and physics?

The angle of swing is an important concept in engineering and physics because it helps determine the behavior and response of a rod or structural element when subjected to external forces. It can also be used to calculate the stress and strain on the rod, which is crucial in design and analysis.

5. How can the angle of swing be controlled or minimized?

The angle of swing for a rod can be controlled or minimized by adjusting the properties of the rod, such as its length or stiffness, and by applying appropriate boundary conditions. Additionally, using techniques such as damping or adding additional support can also help reduce the angle of swing.