What is the Relation Between Wave Vectors in Bloch's Theorem?

• Thread starter Modey3
  • Start date
In summary: K is summation over all reciprocal lattice vectors. So it is always of the form n1*b1+n2*b2+n3*b3 where n's are integers and b's are reciprocal lattice vectors. If you look at the previous page the allowed wave vectors are not of the same form but satisfy the peridiocity of the reciprocal lattice.Thanks for the response. Isn't it true though that a wave vector that satifies the Born-Von-Karman BC's doesn't nessarily satisfy the periodicity of the lattice. For instance consider a simple cubic lattice. The allowed wave vectors that satisfy the periodicity of the lattice are pi/a, 2*pi/
Modey3
Hello,

I've been self teaching myself solid state physics by reading Ashcroft and Mermin. What confuses me is that for the wave function in the lattice is written as the Fourier series of waves obeying the Born-Von Karman Boundary Conditions while the potenial is written as the Fourier series of waves in the reciprocal lattice. Look on page 137 in Ashcroft and Mermin to see what I mean. Is there any difference in the wave vectors used in both Fourier series. Actually two different summation indices are used (K for the wavefunction and q for the potential) I would think that since a wave is in the reciprocal lattice it should obey the Born-Von-Karman BC's. I'm just not getting a feel for how K and q are related. Thanks for any help.

Modey3

Physics news on Phys.org
K is summation over all reciprocal lattice vectors. So it is always of the form n1*b1+n2*b2+n3*b3 where n's are integers and b's are reciprocal lattice vectors. If you look at the previous page the allowed wave vectors are not of the same form but satisfy the peridiocity of the reciprocal lattice.

Thanks for the response. Isn't it true though that a wave vector that satifies the Born-Von-Karman BC's doesn't nessarily satisfy the periodicity of the lattice. For instance consider a simple cubic lattice. The allowed wave vectors that satisfy the periodicity of the lattice are pi/a, 2*pi/a, 3*pi/a etc... The Born-Von-Karman BC's don't restrict the wave vectors to these values. In fact according to the Born-Von-Karman BC you could have a wave vector (0.5)*pi/a which doens't satisfy periodicity. Thanks

Modey3

q's and K's belong to k-space... both of them. But you must be careful when you create a picture. q's are all in first Brillouin zone (remember that its linear size goes like 1/a). K's are equivalent to R's in reciprocal lattice... now you should understand that while Born&Von-Karman have made a restriction to R variability, differently they could not perform the same on K's which are ruled by potential periodicity.
I suggest you to postpone the demonstration and come back to relations like (8.29).
Keep in mind continously a common analogue: the string of a guitar! It's the same, but you have physically to repeat the chord backward and foreward until you got suitable boundary conditions!

Okay, thanks for everyones responses. The only problem I have is that a wave with a wavelength of 2a, 3a, or greater satisfy the Born-Von-Karman, but do not satisfy the periodicity of the lattice since psi(r) doesn't equal psi(r+R) for a wavelength of 3a. In this case R could be equal to a. Thanks for any help.

Modey3

Related to What is the Relation Between Wave Vectors in Bloch's Theorem?

1. What is Bloch's Theorem?

Bloch's Theorem is a fundamental principle in solid state physics that states that the wave function of an electron in a periodic potential can be written as a product of a periodic function and a plane wave.

2. How does Bloch's Theorem relate to the electronic structure of crystals?

Bloch's Theorem is directly related to the electronic structure of crystals because it allows us to describe the energy levels and wave functions of electrons in a periodic potential, such as the potential created by the atoms in a crystal lattice.

3. What are the implications of Bloch's Theorem in solid state physics?

Bloch's Theorem has several important implications in solid state physics. It allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice, determine the energy levels and band structure of materials, and predict the electronic and optical properties of materials.

4. How is Bloch's Theorem used in electronic structure calculations?

In electronic structure calculations, Bloch's Theorem is used to simplify the problem of solving the Schrödinger equation for a crystal. By using Bloch's Theorem, we can reduce the problem to solving for the wave function in the first Brillouin zone, which is a much simpler task than solving for the wave function in the entire crystal.

5. Are there any limitations to Bloch's Theorem?

While Bloch's Theorem is a powerful tool in solid state physics, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the crystal lattice is perfect and does not take into account the effects of defects and impurities. It also does not account for electron-electron interactions, which can be important in certain materials.