What is the relation between the sets A and B?

• MHB
  • Thread starter normaldistribut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the given problem asks to find the domain and range of a relation R, where A and B are equal sets, and to create a digraph of the relation. The sets A and B are defined as {1, 2, 3, 4, 8}, and the relation R is defined as a|b. However, the problem statement is unclear and poorly defined, making it difficult to accurately solve.
normaldistribut
Can anyone help explain this to me and solve this problem? I have gone over my textbook and I am having trouble understanding this. (Doh)

Find the domain, range, and when A=B, the diagraph of the relation R.
A={1,2,3,4,8}=B; a R b if and only if a|b.

A.Domain {1,2,3,4,8}
Range {1,4,6,9,15}
$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 &1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 &0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 &1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 &0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 &0 \end{bmatrix}$

B.Domain {1,2,3,4}
Range {1,4,6,9}
$\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 &1 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 &0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 &1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 &0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 &0 \end{bmatrix}$

C.Domain {1,2,3,4,5}
Range {1,4,6,7,9}

D.Domain {1,2,3,4,5}
Range {1,4,6,8,9}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
normaldistribut said:
Find the domain, range, and when A=B, the diagraph of the relation R.
(1) Is "diagraph" supposed to be "digraph"?
(2) What is \f?
(3) What are A through D: answer variants or different problems?
(4) What are these matrices if the problem statement does not ask for them?

Also, please give the definitions of domain and range from your textbook

Re: Digraph of the relation

1) I copied it directly from the problem given and it says diagraph, but it is supposed to be digraph.(Doh)
2) /f is something that when I created the matrices within text box, it added. It's not on the original problem though.
3)A-D are the four answer choices that they gave us for to choose from.
4) These matrices are part of the problem, this is why I was so confused when working this because it's not like what we had worked previously.

This is directly from the text:

"The domain of R, denoted by Dom(R), is the set of elements in A that are related to some element in B. In other words, Dom(R), a subset of A, is the set of all first elements in the pairs that make up R. Similarly, we define the range of R, denoted by Ran(R), to be the set of elements in B that are second elements of pairs in R, that is, all elements in B that are paired with some element in A.
Elements of A that are not in Dom(R) are not involved in the relation R in any way. This is also true for elements of B that are not in Ran(R)."

Thanks!:cool:

normaldistribut said:
2) /f is something that when I created the matrices within text box, it added. It's not on the original problem though.
It's "\f", not "/f". If you see the button "Edit post" under your post, then use it.

normaldistribut said:
Similarly, we define the range of R, denoted by Ran(R), to be the set of elements in B that are second elements of pairs in R
In neither variant the suggested range is a subset of B = {1,2,3,4,8}. But then, if the proviso "A = {1,2,3,4,8} = B" pertains to the whole problem, why add "when A=B, [find] the diagraph of the relation R"? What I am saying is that the problem statement does not clearly define the sets on which the relation is defined. This causes doubt whether the relation is $a\mid b$ as well.

The matrices are probably adjacency matrices of this relation/digraph. However, it is not clear why they are not square matrices. Also, I can't see how a textbook can fail to describe representing graphs using matrices prior to giving this problem.

All in all, this problem is poorly stated. I would recommend learning the definitions of all concepts used here and then moving to similar problems.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It's "\f", not "/f". If you see the button "Edit post" under your post, then use it.

Thank you for pointing that out and I'm sure that after your reminder, I'll remember that in future posts.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
In neither variant the suggested range is a subset of B = {1,2,3,4,8}. But then, if the proviso "A = {1,2,3,4,8} = B" pertains to the whole problem, why add "when A=B, [find] the diagraph of the relation R"? What I am saying is that the problem statement does not clearly define the sets on which the relation is defined. This causes doubt whether the relation is $a\mid b$ as well.

The matrices are probably adjacency matrices of this relation/digraph. However, it is not clear why they are not square matrices. Also, I can't see how a textbook can fail to describe representing graphs using matrices prior to giving this problem.

All in all, this problem is poorly stated. I would recommend learning the definitions of all concepts used here and then moving to similar problems.

I learned the definitions and concepts of this particular subject this week and have worked similar problems. I didn't have a problem until I came across this one. That is why I looked to this board for help because clearly I'm not the only one that can't figure the problem out as well.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your response. (Handshake)

Hi normaldistribut! :)

With the information you provided, I took another look at the problem.

The answer is B.

We can find it by elimination, since it is the only one with an adjacency matrix that is (more or less) correctly defined.
Each row corresponds to an element from A={1,2,3,4,8}.
Each column corresponds to what is given as the range {1,4,6,9}.

Furthermore, 8 is the only element that does not divide any element in the range.
So the domain is indeed {1,2,3,4}.
Since each of these elements in the range can divided by an element in the domain, it is indeed the range.

Checking the adjacency matrix, shows that it matches the "divides by" operator.

Thank you so much! After reading your reply and your instructions I see what I didn't do right and was able to figure out the second one that looked like this as well. YAY! Have an amazing day (Party)

Related to What is the relation between the sets A and B?

What is a diagraph of the relation?

A diagraph of the relation is a visual representation of the relationship between two sets of data, typically shown as a directed graph with arrows connecting the data points.

What is the purpose of a diagraph of the relation?

The purpose of a diagraph of the relation is to help interpret and analyze the relationship between two sets of data. It can also be used to identify patterns and trends in the data.

How is a diagraph of the relation created?

A diagraph of the relation is created by first identifying the two sets of data and then plotting them on a graph. Arrows are then drawn to show the direction of the relationship between the data points.

What types of relationships can be represented by a diagraph of the relation?

A diagraph of the relation can represent various types of relationships such as positive, negative, or no correlation between the data sets. It can also show causation or a lack thereof.

How can a diagraph of the relation be used in scientific research?

In scientific research, a diagraph of the relation can be used to visualize and analyze the relationship between different variables. It can also be used to identify potential areas for further study or to support a hypothesis.