What is the rebound height of a ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the height a ball will bounce to based on its initial velocity and mass, while taking into account the efficiency of the ball and gravity. However, there is not enough information provided to solve the problem, such as the type of surface the ball will bounce off of and the exact measurement of gravity.
radio
If I have the velocity an object is moving up (lets make it v here), and the mass (m), how do I calculate the height it bounces to, and by using the efficiency of the ball 60% and gravity as 10 (for simplicity), how do i calculate the original height? Assume there is no wind resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Radio.
Is this a homework question? If so, it's in the wrong section. Anyhow, there is not enough information given to solve the problem. For one thing, how do you expect a ball that's already moving upward to "bounce"? Off of the ceiling? Off of a wall? Off of a tennis racquet? What do you mean by the "efficiency" of the ball? Gravity is 10 what? That's not even a form in which gravity can be expressed (unless you mean 10xEarth gravity).

Likes mechpeac
what is a suitable hypothesis for the height of rebound of a tennis ball

Need more information to solve. I assume coefficient of restitution is 0.6. I also don't understand gravity is 10.

mechpeac said:
Need more information to solve. I assume coefficient of restitution is 0.6. I also don't understand gravity is 10.
10 ms-2? If you assume velocity is v at h=0 there is enough information to calculate height using either equations of motion or energy conservation.

Related to What is the rebound height of a ball?

1. What is rebound height of a ball?

The rebound height of a ball is the maximum height that a ball bounces back to after being dropped or thrown onto a surface.

2. What factors affect the rebound height of a ball?

The rebound height of a ball is affected by the material and elasticity of the ball, the surface it bounces on, and the initial velocity and angle at which it is thrown or dropped.

3. How is the rebound height of a ball calculated?

The rebound height of a ball can be calculated using the equation: h = (e*d)^2, where h is the rebound height, e is the coefficient of restitution, and d is the initial drop height.

4. Why does the rebound height of a ball decrease over time?

The rebound height of a ball decreases over time due to the loss of energy during each bounce. This energy is converted into other forms such as heat and sound, causing the ball to bounce lower and lower until it eventually comes to a stop.

5. How can the rebound height of a ball be increased?

The rebound height of a ball can be increased by using a more elastic ball, choosing a surface with higher elasticity, or increasing the initial velocity and angle at which the ball is thrown or dropped.