What is the reason behind uncertainty principle?

In summary, the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fact of nature and not a measurement limitation. It is not caused by experimental limitations or the dual nature of matter, but rather a fundamental concept. It is advised to search for existing threads on the subject before starting a new thread, as there are already numerous explanations and discussions available.
weezy
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle:
due to experimental limitations or dual nature of matter? Or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what "dual nature of matter" means, but the HUP is a fact of nature, not a measurement limitation. There are approximately 8,000 threads on this forum explaining that. My point is that for fundamental questions like that a forum search is a good idea before you start yet another thread.

Likes vanhees71
By dual nature I meant wave-particle duality.
phinds said:
I don't know what "dual nature of matter" means, but the HUP is a fact of nature, not a measurement limitation. There are approximately 8,000 threads on this forum explaining that. My point is that for fundamental questions like that a forum search is a good idea before you start yet another thread.
phinds said:

weezy said:
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle:
due to experimental limitations or dual nature of matter? Or both?

Neither.
There are many many threads here, including this recent one in which you are already posting: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/uncertainty-principle-intent-behind-it.878026/

Start reading it from the beginning; you'll find the explanation for why thI'm saying "Neither" around #4. (Although #3 is also a good starting point).

I'm closing this thread because it is redundant - you can read some of the existing threads on the subject and you'll likely find answers to most of your questions. If after doing that something is still not clear, then by all means post up some more questions.

Likes weezy

Related to What is the reason behind uncertainty principle?

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know with certainty both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. What is the reason behind the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle arises from the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics, which states that particles can behave as both waves and particles. This means that determining the exact position of a particle interferes with its momentum, and vice versa.

4. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world, as it shows that there are inherent limitations in our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, and has led to the development of new theories in physics.

5. Is the uncertainty principle applicable to everyday objects?

No, the uncertainty principle only applies to objects at the quantum level. Everyday objects, such as a baseball or a car, are much larger and their behavior can be accurately predicted using classical mechanics.