What is the Real Life Twin Paradox?

In summary, the article discusses how twin astronauts have a difference in age due to the time it takes to give birth to the second twin. There is a possibility that this difference in age could spark a sibling rivalry.
nitsuj
Landed on this PBS page, and read that there is going to be a real life twin paradox.

Excerpt from the article "Astronaut twins Scott and Mark Kelly are about to realize this experiment: when Scott returns from a year in orbit in 2016 he will be about 28 microseconds younger than Mark, who is staying on Earth."

Hopefully Scott's 28 millionths of a second age advantage doesn't spark a sibling rivalry. That's got to be a record age differential between twins.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the intrinsic age difference due to the time it takes a woman to give birth to the second twin significantly outweights this correction.

Orodruin said:
I believe the intrinsic age difference due to the time it takes a woman to give birth to the second twin significantly outweights this correction.
Boo! Of course the basis for the fun in this is the assumption they were born at the same time...remarkable woman!

Whats more here (if we're getting technical) is the development of Scott and Mark in the womb. If I understand right...it's complicated enough to just say the were conceived at the same time.

nitsuj said:
conceived at the same time.
Identical twins are conceived as one child and then the egg splits in two.

jerromyjon said:
Identical twins are conceived as one child and then the egg splits in two.

Well that wraps up the reasoning, the twins have zero age difference at conception...and in the most physically strict sense possible!

Girls have eggs?? I'm gunna go post some questions in the Biology Forum.

nitsuj said:
Girls have eggs?? I'm gunna go post some questions in the Biology Forum.
Don't bother. It's dominated by dogmatically-entrenched supporters of the stork theory.

nitsuj said:
the twins have zero age difference at conception...and in the most physically strict sense possible!
I suppose for completeness I should stress, as Orodruin mentioned, this is where the identities begin to deviate. Milliseconds of longevity gained in maturity is about as significant as one twin having a momentarily sticky keystroke while the other's is smooth.

Likes nitsuj
Given all the negative health effects of being in space, Scott probably has a lower life expectancy. By more than 28 microseconds.

nitsuj said:
Of course the basis for the fun in this is the assumption they were born at the same time...remarkable woman!
Aack! That would be horrible. Poor woman.

Should we ban all future discussions of the twin paradox on the grounds that an experimental resolution would be completely inhumane to the twin's mother?

Likes nitsuj
Bandersnatch said:
Don't bother. It's dominated by dogmatically-entrenched supporters of the stork theory.
Now if only we knew the airspeed velocity of an unladen stork...

Likes Bandersnatch
jerromyjon said:
I suppose for completeness I should stress, as Orodruin mentioned, this is where the identities begin to deviate. Milliseconds of longevity gained in maturity is about as significant as one twin having a momentarily sticky keystroke while the other's is smooth.
Of course, and why i joked in that post "hoping" it wouldn't cause a sibling rivalry. Though I was thinking along the lines of experience, nobody fights over keystrokes...or do thea?

Related to What is the Real Life Twin Paradox?

What is the "Real Twin Paradox"?

The "Real Twin Paradox" is a thought experiment in the theory of relativity that involves two identical twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns to Earth, they will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, leading to a paradox.

Why is it called the "Twin Paradox"?

The thought experiment involves two identical twins, leading to the name "Twin Paradox". It highlights the paradoxical nature of the theory of relativity, where time can be perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference.

Is the "Real Twin Paradox" a real phenomenon?

No, the "Real Twin Paradox" is a thought experiment used to illustrate the principles of the theory of relativity. While time dilation and the effects of high-speed travel are real phenomena, the specific scenario of twins aging at different rates is not possible in reality.

What is the significance of the "Real Twin Paradox"?

The "Real Twin Paradox" highlights the counterintuitive nature of the theory of relativity and the concept of time dilation. It also demonstrates the importance of considering different frames of reference in understanding the laws of physics.

Are there any real-world examples of time dilation?

Yes, there are several real-world examples of time dilation, such as the time dilation observed in GPS satellites due to their high speeds, and the time dilation experienced by astronauts in space due to their distance from Earth's gravitational field.