What is the ratio of radii for the two species X+ and X2+?

In summary, the ion source spectrometer produces both singly and doubly ionized species, X+ and X2+, which have the same mass but different charges. They both experience the same electric and magnetic fields, causing them to move on circular paths with radii r1 and r2, respectively. The ratio of the radii is determined by the ratio of their velocities, which is 2:1 since they are accelerated from rest. Thus, the ratio of r1/r2 is √2.
KatieD

Homework Statement

The ion source is a spectrometer produces both singly and doubly ionized species, X+ and X2+. The difference in mass between these species is too small to be detected. Both species are accelerated through the same electric potential difference, and both experience the same magnetic field, which causes them to move on circular paths. The radius of the path for the species X+ is r1 while the radius for species X2+ is r2. Find the ratio r1/r2 of the radii.

So this means:
m1=m2
V1=V2
B1=B2

Homework Equations

r=mv/qV

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the charge of the X2+ is twice the X. I am just so confused about where to go from here. My teacher has written out the solution but it still makes no sense.

Please help :(

Katie

Physics news on Phys.org
You just about have it with your equation don't you?

Consider the equation for each particle.

Now take the ratio of the equations.

If the masses are virtually identical, the acceleration through the electrical potential and hence the velocities are also the same then aren't they?

By the time you get through canceling things out it looks to me like you can determine r1/r2 by inspection.

so here's where i am at:

r1=mv/qB
r2=mv/2qB

I then divide r1 and r2 getting
((m1v1)/(qB))/((m2v2)/(2qB))

then with canceling out I get r1/r2=2

I am confused, the teachers notes say its the square root of 2, I am not sure where this comes in

KatieD said:
so here's where i am at:

r1=mv/qB
r2=mv/2qB

I then divide r1 and r2 getting
((m1v1)/(qB))/((m2v2)/(2qB))

then with canceling out I get r1/r2=2

I am confused, the teachers notes say its the square root of 2, I am not sure where this comes in

Oops. Sorry. The acceleration through the electrical potential will result in a velocity that is not identical. It will be different how?

EPE= Vq
so if the force goes up... and the mass is the same the acceleration will have to go up with the second one by 2 right?

KatieD said:
EPE= Vq
so if the force goes up... and the mass is the same the acceleration will have to go up with the second one by 2 right?

I think they want you to accelerate that from rest. So ...

W = q*ΔV = 1/2*m*v2

Which means that the ratio of v2 = 2:1, since v2 is proportional to the charge.

Related to What is the ratio of radii for the two species X+ and X2+?

What is an ion source?

An ion source is a device used in scientific experiments and industrial processes to produce a beam of charged particles, or ions. These ions can be used for a variety of purposes, such as accelerating particles in particle accelerators, analyzing the composition of materials, and creating thin films.

How are magnetic fields used in an ion source?

Magnetic fields are used in ion sources to control and guide the movement of ions. By applying a magnetic field, ions can be focused into a narrow beam, steered in a specific direction, and separated based on their mass-to-charge ratio. This allows for precise manipulation and analysis of ions in the ion source.

What are the different types of ion sources?

There are several types of ion sources, including electron impact ionization sources, electrospray ionization sources, and inductively coupled plasma sources. Each type uses different methods to produce ions and may have different requirements for magnetic field strength and configuration.

How are magnetic fields created in an ion source?

Magnetic fields in an ion source are typically created by using coils of wire or permanent magnets. These magnets can be arranged in various configurations, such as solenoids, quadrupoles, or multipole magnets, to produce the desired magnetic field strength and shape.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in an ion source?

The strength of the magnetic field in an ion source can be affected by several factors, including the type and configuration of the magnets, the current flowing through the magnets, and the distance between the magnets and the ion source. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and mechanical stress can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.