What is the ratio of energies in a hydrogen atom and how can it be calculated?

In summary: The expectation value of the ground state radius is the Bohr radius. So you can calculate the potential energy by multiplying the Bohr radius by the Coulomb force. Then you can equate the two energies to get the ratio.
Erwin Kreyszig
[SOLVED] Energies of a Hydrogen Atom

1. I have a question on the ratio of energies of an electron in a hydrogen atom. It seems quite simple, but yet seem to be struggling...can anyone help?
2. The question is: "calculate the most probable value of the electron-orbit radius, r, and the ratio of the electron kinetic energy to its potential energy in the ground state of the hydrogen atom"
3. So far i have found the most probable value of the electrons orbit radius, by taking the |[tex]\Psi[/tex]|^2 and multiplying it by the volume element, all in spherical polars. What i am struggling on is the ratio of the energies.

Thanks EK

Physics news on Phys.org
For the kinetic Energies just take the kinetic part of the hamiltonian as a kinetic energy operator ?

Q1:
It depends on what level you should do this problem.

The general formula for hydrogenic atom energy levels are very simple and you should know that one by heart. Or should you be able to derive it?

The energy levels are proportional to [tex] n^{-2} [/tex], does this look familiar?

Thanks guys, so as it is in the ground state this solution is even easier, it is just taking the K.E operator and putting it over the potential (the attractive force on the electron) Thanks for all your help

EK

Mr.Brown said:
For the kinetic Energies just take the kinetic part of the hamiltonian as a kinetic energy operator ?

So i can use the K.E from the Hamiltonian, and use the potential as the coulomb interaction between the electron and the proton, then equate the ratio from those?

Thanks EK

Yeah just calculate the kinetic energy with the KE operator.
Then calculate the mean radius of that given wave function put that in coulombs formula and equate the ratio :)

Mr.Brown said:
Then calculate the mean radius of that given wave function put that in coulombs formula and equate the ratio :)

Perfect, thanks for all your help.

EK

Mr.Brown said:

I am obviously being dumb here, but how can i calculate the kinetic energy using the KE operator? What is it operating on? Do i chose a probable wave function, i.e. guess at it being and exponential, for example, e^-cr, and operate on that?

Thanks

EK

Mr.Brown said:

Sorry to be retarded, but to find the potential then you have to find the expectation value of the ground state radius, which is the Bohr radius yes? Then you sub that Bohr radius into the coulombs law and that is your Potential?
Then equate then with that i can find my ratio of the two energies?

EK

Related to What is the ratio of energies in a hydrogen atom and how can it be calculated?

What is the energy level of a hydrogen atom?

The energy level of a hydrogen atom is determined by the principal quantum number, which can have values of 1, 2, 3, and so on. These values correspond to the different energy levels, with the lowest energy level being n=1 and the highest energy level being n=infinity.

How is the energy of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The energy of a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the equation E = -13.6/n^2 electron volts, where n is the principal quantum number. This equation is known as the Rydberg formula and helps to determine the energy of a specific energy level or transition between energy levels.

What is the significance of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom?

The energy levels in a hydrogen atom represent the different states that an electron can occupy. When an electron transitions between energy levels, energy is either absorbed or emitted in the form of photons. This plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules.

How do the energies of a hydrogen atom differ from other elements?

The energies of a hydrogen atom are unique because it only contains one electron. Other elements have multiple electrons, which can interact with each other and cause the energy levels to split or shift. This makes the energy levels of other elements more complex and difficult to calculate compared to a hydrogen atom.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the energies of a hydrogen atom?

Understanding the energies of a hydrogen atom is essential for many fields of science, including chemistry, physics, and astronomy. It helps to explain the behavior of atoms and molecules, the properties of light, and the formation of stars and galaxies. Additionally, this knowledge is crucial in the development of technologies such as lasers and nuclear power.