What Is the Ratio of Baryonic to Dark Matter in the CMB?

• Thread starter Philosopha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmb Ratio
In summary: What is the observed DM ratio in the CMB? Other then the info-graph from Wikipedia which I was explained is based on the assumption of DM being the same total amount back then but the mass of relativistic particles was higher. Would the 'observed' ratio be 5:1 ? or 2:1 as of Wikipedia ?The observed quantity is 5:1. The cosmological model that is the best fit to the measurements can be used to run this value back to earlier times, which is how the 2:1 value at recombination is obtained.
Philosopha
What is the observed DM ratio in CMB ?

Is there observational evidence for the DM ratio in the CMB? Other then the info-graph from Wikipedia which I was explained is based on the assumption of DM being the same total amount back then but the mass of relativistic particles was higher.

Would the 'observed' ratio be 5:1 ? or 2:1 as of Wikipedia ?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The first few posts in this older thread appears to answer the question of how this ratio is experimentally determined.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mass of relativistic particles was higher," if a particle is relativistic, then it is a very good approximation to ignore its mass. Perhaps you are thinking of something other than rest mass, but in any case, I do not understand what it might have to do with the difference between baryonic and dark matter.

The observed quantities are what they are, in this case, 5:1 is the present ratio. The cosmological model that is the best fit to the measurements can be used to run this value back to earlier times, which is how the 2:1 value at recombination is obtained.

Wikipedia showes a "mass" (not particle!) ratio of 2:1 at the time when the CMB was emitted. The graph includes a large portion of photon/neutrino mass thus tipping the ratio to 2:1, if including these particles. A friend already explained to me that this was so, because Photons at that age had a much higher energy than today, therefore the higher mass in the wikipedia graph by the mass equivalence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

However, the pressure imprint is caused by baryonic pressur against photons. So it should only be the mass of baryon to DM ratio in the CMB that matters for what we see? So we should 'see' a ratio of 63:12 (5:1) baryons to DM? Is that what we see experimentally? I couldn't find info on that and was just wondering if that was the actual case.

Philosopha said:
Wikipedia showes a "mass" (not particle!) ratio of 2:1 at the time when the CMB was emitted. The graph includes a large portion of photon/neutrino mass thus tipping the ratio to 2:1, if including these particles. A friend already explained to me that this was so, because Photons at that age had a much higher energy than today, therefore the higher mass in the wikipedia graph by the mass equivalence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_matter

OK, I understand the terminology. It is more common to quantify the cosmological sources by their energy density. It doesn't really make sense to say that this is equivalent to mass for photons, but for nonrelativistic particles, most of the energy is in the mass.

However, the pressure imprint is caused by baryonic pressur against photons. So it should only be the mass of baryon to DM ratio in the CMB that matters for what we see? So we should 'see' a ratio of 63:12 (5:1) baryons to DM? Is that what we see experimentally? I couldn't find info on that and was just wondering if that was the actual case.

I believe that the pressure term in the equation of state for baryonic and nonbaryonic matter is set to zero in these calculations. There is some discussion in this thread, but basically it's just understood that a contribution from pressure, even for baryons, is much smaller than the experimental precision, so we wouldn't gain anything from adding it. On much smaller scales relevant to astrophysics of stars and the like, of course we can't ignore the pressure.

Now, the way the energy densities appear is through the Friedmann equation as appears in this section:

$$\frac{H^2}{H_0^2} = \Omega_R a^{-4} + \Omega_M a^{-3} + \Omega_k a^{-2} + \Omega_{\Lambda}.$$

Here ##\Omega_M## is the combined baryonic and dark matter contribution. So the first-order measurements don't determine the relative amounts of baryonic vs. dark matter.

The way the dark matter % is determined is to look at the anisotropy of the CMB. There is now a contribution from the interaction between photons and baryons at the surface of last scattering. I am not familiar with the detailed description of this part of the modeling, but there is an interesting http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/education/cmb_plotter/ that let's you tune the cosmological parameters to match the observed power spectrum. Hu and White seems like an important reference for the technical details.

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that the baryonic to dark matter ratio in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) is a topic of ongoing research and there is no definitive answer at this time. The CMB provides a snapshot of the early universe, and it is believed that the amount of dark matter present during this time was the same as it is today. However, the exact ratio between baryonic and dark matter is still uncertain and is an active area of investigation.

While there is some observational evidence for the baryonic to dark matter ratio in the CMB, it is important to note that this evidence is based on assumptions and models. The info-graph from Wikipedia is one example of such a model, and it is based on the assumption that the total amount of dark matter was the same in the early universe as it is today. However, there are other models and observations that suggest a different ratio, such as the 2:1 ratio mentioned in the question.

Therefore, it is not accurate to state a specific observed ratio for the baryonic to dark matter in the CMB. The research in this area is ongoing and further observations and studies are needed to better understand the ratio between these two components of the universe. As scientists, we must continue to investigate and refine our understanding of the baryonic to dark matter ratio in the CMB.

Related to What Is the Ratio of Baryonic to Dark Matter in the CMB?

1. What is the baryonic to dark matter ratio in the cosmic microwave background (CMB)?

The baryonic to dark matter ratio in the CMB refers to the relative proportions of ordinary matter (baryonic matter) and dark matter in the universe as observed through the CMB radiation. This ratio is estimated to be around 5 to 1, meaning that for every 5 units of dark matter, there is 1 unit of baryonic matter.

2. How is the baryonic to dark matter ratio determined in the CMB?

The baryonic to dark matter ratio is determined by analyzing the fluctuations in the CMB radiation. These fluctuations can be used to calculate the total amount of matter in the universe, and by studying the distribution of matter in the universe, scientists can estimate the ratio of baryonic to dark matter.

3. Why is the baryonic to dark matter ratio important in understanding the universe?

The baryonic to dark matter ratio is important because it provides insight into the composition and structure of the universe. Understanding the proportion of baryonic to dark matter can help us better understand how galaxies and other large structures form, as well as the overall evolution of the universe.

4. How does the baryonic to dark matter ratio in the CMB compare to other measurements?

The baryonic to dark matter ratio in the CMB is consistent with other measurements, such as observations of galaxy clusters and the abundance of light elements in the early universe. This consistency gives scientists confidence in their understanding of the ratio and its implications for the universe.

5. Can the baryonic to dark matter ratio change over time?

While the ratio may vary slightly in different regions of the universe, it is believed to remain relatively constant over time. This is because both baryonic and dark matter are subject to the same gravitational forces and therefore distribute in similar ways. However, ongoing research and new discoveries may lead to a better understanding of any potential changes in the ratio over time.