What is the rate at which the CMBR is cooling?

In summary: There is some evidence of plasma excited and emitting in the gigahertz range, but it's not known for sure whether it's in the near local system. There is some evidence of plasma excited and emitting in the gigahertz range, but it's not known for sure whether it's in the near local system.
PhoenixKnight
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the rate of cooling for the CMBR.

I understand that the rate of cooling is directly related to the rate of expansion of the universe, but I lack the mathematical prowess necessary to make any use of this.

I am specifically trying to determine an estimate of what the temperature of the CMBR would have been around 800 million years ago.

Thanks in advance,

~PhoenixKnight

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can we assume that it has been cooling at a constant rate throughout those 11 billion years?

PhoenixKnight said:
Can we assume that it has been cooling at a constant rate throughout those 11 billion years?

No, but that paper Cronos cited is interesting and contains an elegant way of measuring temp.

marcus said:
No, but that paper Cronos cited is interesting and contains an elegant way of measuring temp.

The current cooling rate is

[itex]\dot T = H_0 \cdot T = 6.27 \cdot 10^{ - 18} {\textstyle{K \over s}}[/itex]

PhoenixKnight said:
I am specifically trying to determine an estimate of what the temperature of the CMBR would have been around 800 million years ago.

Had a hard time waking up this morning. I originally wrote some nonsense, then deleted. Let's see if this is better.

You need to know the redshift corresponding to .8 billion years ago. That is a light travel time of .8 billion y.

So you google "ned light travel time"
and get the Ned Wright light travel time converter.
type in .8 in the box for LTT and press calculate
and you get z = 0.061

That means the CMB temp back then was 1.061 times what it is today.

Last edited:
is there known to be plasma excited and emitting in the gigahertz range in the near local system? this could explain the isotropic nature of the cmbr quite nicely outside the standard model.

Related to What is the rate at which the CMBR is cooling?

1. What is CMBR?

CMBR stands for Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation. It is the residual radiation from the Big Bang and is considered the oldest light in the universe. It can be detected in the form of microwave radiation throughout the entire universe.

2. How is the rate of CMBR cooling calculated?

The rate of CMBR cooling is calculated by measuring the temperature of the CMBR and comparing it to the temperature of the universe at different points in time. This can be done using various instruments such as satellites and telescopes.

3. What is the current temperature of CMBR?

The current temperature of CMBR is approximately 2.7 Kelvin (-270.3 degrees Celsius or -454.5 degrees Fahrenheit). This temperature has been measured to be almost uniform in all directions, with only small fluctuations.

4. How does the rate of CMBR cooling affect the universe?

The rate of CMBR cooling is an important factor in understanding the evolution of the universe. As the universe expands, the CMBR cools at a rate that is proportional to the expansion. This cooling also affects the formation and growth of large-scale structures in the universe.

5. Is the rate of CMBR cooling constant?

The rate of CMBR cooling is not constant and has been decreasing over time. This is due to the expansion of the universe, which causes the radiation to redshift and lose energy. However, the rate of cooling is still quite slow, with only a decrease of about 0.01 Kelvin per billion years.