What is the Radius of an Electron Trajectory in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involves accelerating electrons with mass m and charge -e through a potential difference V and then deflecting them with a magnetic field B that is perpendicular to their velocity. The goal is to find the radius of the resulting electron trajectory. To solve this, one would need to use the equations F=mv^2/r and F=qvB, and the answer can be found using the energy gained from the potential difference V and the resulting velocity of the electron.
11thHeaven

Homework Statement

Electrons (mass m, charge –e) are accelerated from rest through a potential difference V and are then deflected by a magnetic field B that is perpendicular to their velocity. Find the radius of the resulting electron trajectory.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=\dfrac{mv^2}{r}[/tex] [tex]F=qvB[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start with this. The electron moves through the potential difference, and presumably gains kinetic energy, but I don't know how to express this in the equations above to get an answer.

Help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that the e is accelerated through a gap across which there is a potential difference V. What is the width of the gap?

grzz said:
I am assuming that the e is accelerated through a gap across which there is a potential difference V. What is the width of the gap?

That's all the info I'm given; I've literally copied and pasted the question.

I'm not being asked to give a numerical answer though. It's a multiple choice question, and this is apparently the answer:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2mV/e}}{B}[/tex]

The p.d. gives an energy of Ve to the electron.

From this one can find the resulting velocity of the electron.

grzz said:
The p.d. gives an energy of Ve to the electron.

From this one can find the resulting velocity of the electron.

Aha! Got it. Thanks for the help :)

Related to What is the Radius of an Electron Trajectory in a Magnetic Field?

What is the radius of an electron's trajectory?

The radius of an electron's trajectory is the distance between the center of the electron and the center of its circular path as it orbits around an atom's nucleus.

How is the radius of an electron's trajectory determined?

The radius of an electron's trajectory is determined by its energy level, which is determined by the distance of the electron from the nucleus. The higher the energy level, the larger the radius of the electron's trajectory.

What factors affect the radius of an electron's trajectory?

The radius of an electron's trajectory is affected by the attractive force of the nucleus and the repulsive force of other electrons. It is also affected by the electron's energy level and the type of atom it is orbiting.

Why is the radius of an electron's trajectory important?

The radius of an electron's trajectory is important because it determines the size and shape of an atom. It also affects the chemical and physical properties of an atom, which in turn, affects the behavior of substances and molecules.

Can the radius of an electron's trajectory change?

Yes, the radius of an electron's trajectory can change if there is a change in energy level, such as when an electron absorbs or releases energy. It can also change if there is a change in the attractive and repulsive forces acting on the electron, such as in a chemical reaction.