What is the quality of Kruer's book on laser plasma interactions?

In summary, the individual is looking for a book on laser plasma interactions for their thesis. They are considering purchasing the book "The physics of laser plasma interaction" by Kruer, but it is not available at their university. They are seeking advice on whether it is a good resource and if there is a free version available online. Their tutor has not provided any guidance on the matter.
1Keenan
Hi,

I need a book about laser plasma interactions for my thesis.
I'm reading P. Gibbon book "Short Pulse Laser Interaction with Matter" and further reading the autor suggests to use Kruer book "The physics of laser plasma interaction".
This book is not available in my university and before buing it I would like to know if it is good or if there is an online free version somewhere just to have a look at it.

P.S.: my tutor gave me no answer about the same problem, so please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm puzzled. You need a book for a written thesis? As a toss-it-out-there reference, or is there something specific you need to learn from the book? It's a really complex topic and Bill is pretty engrossed in this stuff, so having a free look will do nothing for you, except perhaps scare you off the topic.

I know it's a complex topic, but I want to have a look at Kruer's book before buying it, just to see if it is good for what I need

Related to What is the quality of Kruer's book on laser plasma interactions?

What is laser plasma interaction?

Laser plasma interaction is the interaction between a high-intensity laser and a plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of highly ionized gas. The laser energy is absorbed by the plasma, causing it to heat up and expand, leading to various physical processes and phenomena.

How are laser plasma interactions used in research?

Laser plasma interactions are used in a wide range of research fields, including fusion energy, astrophysics, materials science, and high-energy density physics. They can also be used to generate intense x-rays and high-energy particles, which have applications in medical imaging, cancer therapy, and nuclear waste treatment.

What are the factors that affect laser plasma interactions?

The factors that affect laser plasma interactions include the intensity, duration, and wavelength of the laser pulse, as well as the properties of the plasma, such as density, temperature, and composition. The geometry of the laser and plasma also plays a role in the interaction.

What are the challenges in studying laser plasma interactions?

One of the main challenges in studying laser plasma interactions is the complex nature of the physical processes involved. The interaction is highly nonlinear and involves a wide range of temporal and spatial scales. Additionally, the extreme conditions of the plasma make it difficult to accurately measure and control the parameters of the interaction.

What are the potential applications of laser plasma interactions?

The potential applications of laser plasma interactions are vast and include energy production, particle acceleration, x-ray generation, and materials processing. They also have potential uses in advanced propulsion systems, particle beam weapons, and laboratory simulations of astrophysical phenomena.