What is the Purpose of the Arc Function in Python's Turtle Graphics?

In summary, the conversation is about a code in ThinkPython that draws arcs using the arc and polyline functions. The purpose of n is to divide the movements into separate iterations and it is set to arc_length / 4 + 1. The step angle divides the total angle subtended by the arc into smaller segments. The units of r are the same as the dividing 4. The code approximates the arc as small straight lines with segments that are approximately 4 units long.
mrcleanhands
Hi,
I'm working through thinkpython and there is an exercise which requires drawing flowers and arcs. I'm having some trouble understanding the arc function.

Code:
def arc(t, r, angle):
    """Draws an arc with the given radius and angle.

t: Turtle
    r: radius
    angle: angle subtended by the arc, in degrees
    """
    arc_length = 2 * math.pi * r * abs(angle) / 360
    n = int(arc_length / 4) + 1 
    step_length = arc_length / n
    step_angle = float(angle) / n

# making a slight left turn before starting reduces
    # the error caused by the linear approximation of the arc
    lt(t, step_angle/2)
    polyline(t, n, step_length, step_angle)
    rt(t, step_angle/2)

Here's the polyline code called from the above function:
Code:
def polyline(t, n, length, angle):
    """Draws n line segments.

t: Turtle object
    n: number of line segments
    length: length of each segment
    angle: degrees between segments
    """
    for i in range(n):
        fd(t, length)
        lt(t, angle)
I'm unsure about this part:
Code:
 n = int(arc_length / 4) + 1
I'm guessing the purpose of n is to divide up the movements into separate iterations. How come it's set to arc_length / 4 + 1
Code:
step_angle = float(angle) / n
I'm guessing this is dividing up the total angle subtended by the arc into little bits which it gradually carves out...

Technology news on Phys.org
It looks like the value for n (number of arc segments) is fairly arbitrary, and you're right, the step angle is what an arc segment subtends for a given segment of the total arc.

What are the units of 'r' ?

I think those are the same units of the dividing 4

So, it seems to me that they are choosing to draw an arc as small straight lines, except when the arc is smaller than 4, in which the division yields a number smaller than 1 and the int() operation yields zero, which leaves you back with the + 1

In other words, they are choosing the "small segments" to be approx 4 units long, or so, every time.

make sense? or am I missing something?

Related to What is the Purpose of the Arc Function in Python's Turtle Graphics?

What is an algorithm for drawing an arc?

An algorithm for drawing an arc is a set of instructions or steps that a computer program follows to create a curved line segment. This can be used in various applications such as computer graphics, animation, and engineering designs.

What are the key components of an algorithm for drawing an arc?

The key components of an algorithm for drawing an arc include the starting point, the radius of the arc, the angle of the arc, and the direction of the arc (clockwise or counterclockwise). These components are used to calculate the coordinates of the points along the arc.

How does the algorithm calculate the coordinates of the arc?

The algorithm uses mathematical formulas to calculate the coordinates of the points along the arc. The starting point and radius are used to determine the center of the arc, and the angle and direction are used to calculate the coordinates of each point using trigonometric functions.

Can an algorithm for drawing an arc be modified for different types of arcs?

Yes, an algorithm for drawing an arc can be modified for different types of arcs such as circular arcs, elliptical arcs, or parabolic arcs. The key components and mathematical formulas may vary slightly depending on the type of arc, but the basic principles remain the same.

Are there any limitations to using an algorithm for drawing an arc?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an algorithm for drawing an arc. The accuracy of the arc depends on the number of points used to plot it, so a higher number of points will result in a smoother and more precise arc. Additionally, the algorithm may have difficulty drawing very large or very small arcs due to limitations in computer precision.