What is the Proof of an Inequality for Three Positive Numbers?

In summary, the conversation suggests using the AM-GM inequality and algebraic manipulation to prove that for positive numbers a, b, and c, the expression (a+b)(b+c)(c+a) is greater than or equal to 8abc. Suggestions for approaching the problem include expanding the brackets and using the inequality (x+y)≥2√xy. It is also noted that induction is not a feasible method for solving this problem.
tomwilliam2
I'm trying to do some practice Putnam questions, and I'm stuck on the following:

For ##a,b,c \geq 0##, prove that ##(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \geq 8abc##

(https://www.math.nyu.edu/~bellova/putnam/putnam09_6.pdf)

I started off by expanding the brackets and doing some algebraic rearranging, but I don't think I've got anywhere.
Should I be using induction? Or is this an algebraic problem?
Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My hint is to first prove

##a + b \geq 2\sqrt {ab}##. You can start by using ##(a - b)^2 \geq 0##. If you prove it then see how you can leverage this for the whole expression you want to prove.

EDIT: Your question is not about set theory, logic, probability or statistics so if it is not homework it should be posted in the "General Math" section.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Apply AM-GM on ##2abc+a^2b+ac^2+b^2c+b^2a+bc^2+a^2c##.

Likes Delta2
Thanks both.

Another common tactic is to start by dealing with the case where one or more variables is zero (i.e. lower bound of real non-negative expression is zero). After that you may assume all a,b, c are positive, then divide them out so all variables are on one side.

In this case you'd take advantage of positivity and divide out ##abc## from each side. With a small bit of insight, you'll see that your problem 1 is just an n =3 case of problem 4.

I think ##3(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)=(a+b+c)^3-(a^3+b^3+c^3)## can be of use. At least one doesn't have to deal with so many terms.

tomwilliam2 said:
I'm trying to do some practice Putnam questions, and I'm stuck on the following:

For ##a,b,c \geq 0##, prove that ##(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \geq 8abc##

(https://www.math.nyu.edu/~bellova/putnam/putnam09_6.pdf)

I started off by expanding the brackets and doing some algebraic rearranging, but I don't think I've got anywhere.
Should I be using induction? Or is this an algebraic problem?
Thanks in advance
Induction would work only if a,b,c were restricted to the domain of natural numbers and then again you would have to do triple nested induction. But here a,b,c are any positive real numbers.

Just expand like @Buffu suggests and then use ##(x+y)\geq 2\sqrt{xy}## (already suggested by @QuantumQuest )for proper x and y for example ##x=a^2b,y=bc^2## e.t.c

Last edited:

Related to What is the Proof of an Inequality for Three Positive Numbers?

1. What is "Proof of an Inequality"?

"Proof of an Inequality" is a mathematical concept that involves demonstrating that one value or expression is greater than or less than another. It is used to show the relationship between two quantities and is an important part of mathematical reasoning and problem solving.

2. How is "Proof of an Inequality" different from "Proof of an Equation"?

While both involve demonstrating a mathematical relationship, "Proof of an Inequality" focuses on showing that one value is greater than or less than another, whereas "Proof of an Equation" shows that two values are equal.

3. What are some common methods used in "Proof of an Inequality"?

Some common methods used in "Proof of an Inequality" include direct proof, contradiction, mathematical induction, and using known theorems or properties of inequalities. Each method involves a different approach to demonstrating the inequality.

4. What is the importance of "Proof of an Inequality" in science?

"Proof of an Inequality" is important in science because it allows scientists to make accurate and precise comparisons between different quantities or variables. It also helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions based on mathematical relationships.

5. Can "Proof of an Inequality" be used in real-world applications?

Yes, "Proof of an Inequality" can be used in various real-world applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to analyze cost-benefit relationships, optimize designs, and determine physical limits or constraints.