What is the proof for the statement about facets in a simplex triangulation?

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary, a triangulation of an n-simplex S is a collection of n-simplices that cover S and have either empty intersections or share a common face. The question asks how to prove that a facet of a subsimplex S' of a triangulation T of S is either contained in a facet of S or is the facet of exactly one other simplex in T. This is typically considered a trivial fact, but may require the use of topological facts about simplices.
e(ho0n3
First, some definitions:

An n-simplex is defined as the convex hull of n+1 affinely independent vectors in Rd (its vertices). A face of a simplex is defined to be the convex hull of any subset of its vertices. A facet of a n-simplex is a face that is an (n-1)-simplex. A triangulation T of an n-simplex S is a finite collection of n-simplices {S', S'', ...} (called the subsimplices of T) such that (i) their union equals S and (ii) the intersection of any two of them is either empty or a common face.

Now for the question:

Let S be a simplex and let T be a triangulation of S. Let F be a facet of a subsimplex S' of T. Then either F is contained in a facet of S or F is the facet of exactly one other simplex S''.

The question is, how does one prove the above statement? All the books I have checked consider this a trivial fact or leave it as an exercise to the reader. In trying to prove it, I was forced to use a lot of topological facts about simplices that I have not seen proved anywhere (e.g. a point in a simplex is an interior point if and only if its barycentric coordinates are all positive). Since the definition of a triangulation makes no use of any topology, it bugs me that I have had to use so much topology in trying to prove it. If anybody supplies me with a reference with a full proof, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
e(ho0n3 said:
First, some definitions:

An n-simplex is defined as the convex hull of n+1 affinely independent vectors in Rd (its vertices). A face of a simplex is defined to be the convex hull of any subset of its vertices. A facet of a n-simplex is a face that is an (n-1)-simplex. A triangulation T of an n-simplex S is a finite collection of n-simplices {S', S'', ...} (called the subsimplices of T) such that (i) their union equals S and (ii) the intersection of any two of them is either empty or a common face.

Now for the question:

Let S be a simplex and let T be a triangulation of S. Let F be a facet of a subsimplex S' of T. Then either F is contained in a facet of S or F is the facet of exactly one other simplex S''.

The question is, how does one prove the above statement? All the books I have checked consider this a trivial fact or leave it as an exercise to the reader. In trying to prove it, I was forced to use a lot of topological facts about simplices that I have not seen proved anywhere (e.g. a point in a simplex is an interior point if and only if its barycentric coordinates are all positive). Since the definition of a triangulation makes no use of any topology, it bugs me that I have had to use so much topology in trying to prove it. If anybody supplies me with a reference with a full proof, I would greatly appreciate it.

I think it follow immefiately from the definition of a triangulation.

lavinia said:
I think it follow immefiately from the definition of a triangulation.

That's what many books say too, but I don't see how it immediately follows. For example, I don't see how it rules out that three subsimplices can share a common facet.

Related to What is the proof for the statement about facets in a simplex triangulation?

1. What is a simplex?

A simplex is a geometric shape that is the smallest unit of a higher-dimensional space. In two-dimensional space, a simplex would be a triangle, while in three-dimensional space, it would be a tetrahedron. In general, an n-dimensional simplex has n+1 vertices and forms the boundary of an n-dimensional solid.

2. What is a triangulation?

A triangulation is a method of dividing a geometric shape into smaller pieces, typically simplices, by connecting the vertices with straight lines or edges. It is commonly used to break down complex shapes into simpler, more manageable parts for analysis.

3. What is the purpose of triangulation in scientific research?

Triangulation is used in various scientific fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and physics, to represent and analyze complex shapes and structures. It allows for the simplification of data and the identification of patterns and relationships within the data.

4. How is triangulation used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, triangulation is used to create 3D models by connecting a series of points or vertices with straight lines to form a mesh. This mesh is then used to create a surface or solid representation of the object, which can be rendered and manipulated in various ways.

5. What are the limitations of using simplices and triangulations in scientific research?

While simplices and triangulations are useful tools in many scientific fields, they also have limitations. For example, in some cases, the resulting triangulation may not accurately represent the original shape or may introduce errors. Additionally, the number of simplices needed to represent a complex shape can quickly become computationally intensive, making it challenging to analyze large datasets.