What is the projectiles time of flight?

In summary, using the given information, the projectile has an initial velocity of 35 m/s at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal and the time of flight can be determined by using the SUVAT equations, specifically considering the vertical motion of the projectile. The quadratic formula will give two solutions, with one being at time t=0 and the other being the time when the projectile touches the ground again, which is the time of flight.
Format
Havin a bit of trouble on this one, just because of the lack of information.

A projectile is launched over level ground at 35 m/s at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. What is the projectiles time of flight?

Someone mind helpin me out? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ive figured out the velocity of the X and Y components but i don't know where to go from there...

You can determine the vertical component of the velocity at t = 0 so you know that
[tex]y = v_{y0}t - gt^2/2[/tex]
from which you can determine when the projectile hits the ground.

Consider only the vertical motion of the projectile. You have intitial and final vertical velocities, as well as the acceleration (g), so how to find time?

Tide said:
You can determine the vertical component of the velocity at t = 0 so you know that
[tex]y = v_{y0}t - gt^2/2[/tex]
from which you can determine when the projectile hits the ground.

Doesn't that involve finding vertical distance (y) first? The formula I was getting at allows you to solve this question in one step.

hmm, sorry I still can't figure it out :confused: Does Vf = 0 in this situation?

Well, think about the unidirectional motion upwards (forget the trip back down for now). What happens when the projectile reaches the summit of its trajectory?

The Velocity is equal to 0. But how could that be if the object isn't just going up and down? Its always moving isn't it?

Sirus said:
Doesn't that involve finding vertical distance (y) first? The formula I was getting at allows you to solve this question in one step.

"[itex]y[/itex]'' is the specific height when "[itex]t[/itex]'' is a specific time.
So, if you are looking for the "time when it meets the ground" ([itex]t=t_\text{ground}[/itex]) then "[itex]y[/itex]'' is the height at the ground ([itex]y=y_\text{ground}[/itex]).

So, think of Tide's equation as
[tex]y_\text{ground} = v_{y0}t_\text{ground} - gt_\text{ground}{}^2/2[/tex]

My way is easier.

Format, it is moving but at the summit of its trajectory its vertical velocity is zero. Therefore, you can consider only the vertical velocity to find time using
[tex]v_{f}=v_{i}+at[/tex]
Solve for t and multiply by two (downward trip as well).

Sirus said:
My way is easier.

Format, it is moving but at the summit of its trajectory its vertical velocity is zero. Therefore, you can consider only the vertical velocity to find time using
[tex]v_{f}=v_{i}+at[/tex]
Solve for t and multiply by two (downward trip as well).

Sirus is right...but remember that in this formula Vi= initial velocity in y...so it is not the velocity that is given in the problem. Viy = 35m/s sen 40.
vf would be zero... solve for t and that will be the time to reach the maximum height . Then multiply by two to consider also the time to fall from that maximum height. (in proyectiles the time to go up equals the time to go down)

Format said:
Havin a bit of trouble on this one, just because of the lack of information.

A projectile is launched over level ground at 35 m/s at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal. What is the projectiles time of flight?

Someone mind helpin me out? :smile:

Just use the SUVAT equations.

Consider vertically:
u = 35sin40, S = 0, a = -9.8, t = ?
You'll get a quadratic by using the correct formulae. One solution is t=0 (at the start). The other is when the projectile touches the ground again (the time of flight).

Related to What is the projectiles time of flight?

What is the projectiles time of flight?

The projectiles time of flight refers to the amount of time it takes for a projectile to travel from its initial point of launch to its final point of impact.

How is the projectiles time of flight calculated?

The projectiles time of flight can be calculated using the formula t = 2 * v * sin(θ) / g, where t is the time of flight, v is the initial velocity of the projectile, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the projectiles time of flight?

The projectiles time of flight can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the height of the launch point.

Why is the projectiles time of flight important in scientific experiments?

The projectiles time of flight is important in scientific experiments as it can help determine the trajectory and impact of a projectile, and also aid in understanding the motion and forces acting on the projectile.

How can the projectiles time of flight be measured in an experiment?

The projectiles time of flight can be measured using a stopwatch or a high-speed camera to record the time it takes for the projectile to travel from its launch point to its impact point. This time can then be used in the calculation of the time of flight.