What is the profile of the second fluid in laminar flow with two fluids?

In summary: CameronIn summary, Jens explains that the viscosity of the fluids determines the profile of the second fluid in a pipe. He uses Poiseuille's law to calculate the profile and finds that it is not a perfect parabola. He also states that the fluid mixture in the catheter is not purely axial, due to the more viscous blood.
jencam
Hi

I am working in an application where we pump a fluid in a water -filled tube, where the second fluid has a viscosity of 3-4 times the viscosity of water. We have laminar flow (Re around 20).

If the fluids were 100% compatible (e.g. colored water vs clear water) I have determined that if I pump say 100 µl (V), the edge of the second fluid (B) will be att 2V, and the amount of B at a certain cross section will be linearly increasing so at V there will be 50% of B and at 0 µl I will have 100% fluid 2.

For different viscosity I have found a shorter envelope of B in water. I can imagine why, but I don't seem to have the brains to compute how much.

Is there a way to describe the profile of B in water. Maybe there are more parameters needed like velocity, other material properties, ...

I don't need an exact answer. Rather a simple one if there is. Laminar theory works quite well for water/water and I don't seem to need to account for diffusion even though my tubing is 0.8 mm I.D.

Regards

Jens Cameron

Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult for me to get a good picture of what you are doing, but recall that Poiseuille flow (which may be appropriate here) has a parabolic velocity profile. This may account for the appearance of gradients in your tube.

Hi Andy. Thanks for your response.

Poiseuilles law is what I use for water-water flow. Works quite well and the paraboloid velocity profile will in effect give a linear decrease in "concentration" (I know the fluids are not mixed in laminar flow but for me the effect is the same).

The actual application is that I wish to sample blood from an animal through a catheter. In the animal I have "pure" blood and the catheter is (in this abstraction) filled with pure saline (0.9 mg/ml NaCl in H2O). Properties of saline is equivalent to water but prevents hemolysis.

In the system, blood is withdrawn from the animal into the catheter, where the two fluids mix (in my vocabulary), and further up in the system is a valve where I can insert air to block the laminar flow. After the valve the blood sample is transported between two air bubbles to a test tube.

I have developed a simple theory using Poiseuilles equations and done some experiments that matches theory quite well when I use colored water/colorless water. With blood/saline I get better results (lower dilution) than with water/water phase and I would like to improve my model to handle flows with different properties.

My guess is that I have a flow of blood that is not purely axial in the tube. This flow i sdue to that the more viscous blood pushes the water away (or say that the water is more mobile than the blood). One extreme is the air I insert at the valve - the edge between water and air is very short/sharp - there is no air left in the tube when water comes flowing (no parabolic profile).

I know the question may be very complex and depend on intra-material properties like surface tension, diffusion (blood is water-soluble), not to mention that blood isn't really a fluid at all but a mix of water, salts, fatty acids, proteins and solid particles (erythrocytes). It is more a matter of if it is possible to describe the velocity profile (or inter-fluid border) with some formula or if numerically solving Navier Stokes equations is the only way to go. This wouldn't be feasible for me since it will be easier to do an experiment to determine dilution.

I hope you get a better picture with this description

Regards

--Jens

Related to What is the profile of the second fluid in laminar flow with two fluids?

What is laminar flow with two fluids?

Laminar flow with two fluids refers to a fluid flow phenomenon where two fluids of different densities and viscosities flow together in a smooth, non-turbulent manner. This type of flow is characterized by layers of fluid moving in parallel without mixing.

What factors affect the laminar flow of two fluids?

The viscosity and density of the two fluids, as well as the velocity and geometry of the flow, can affect laminar flow with two fluids. Other external factors such as temperature and pressure can also play a role.

How is laminar flow with two fluids different from turbulent flow?

In turbulent flow, the fluid particles mix and flow in a chaotic manner, resulting in eddies and swirls. In contrast, laminar flow with two fluids is characterized by smooth, parallel layers of fluid with minimal mixing. Turbulent flow also has higher energy dissipation and results in more pressure drop compared to laminar flow.

What are some real-life applications of laminar flow with two fluids?

Laminar flow with two fluids is commonly observed in applications such as oil-water separation, liquid-liquid extraction, and chemical reactions involving two immiscible fluids. It is also utilized in various industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and oil and gas.

How can laminar flow with two fluids be controlled or manipulated?

In order to maintain laminar flow with two fluids, the flow rate and viscosity of the fluids should be carefully controlled. The use of baffles, flow restrictors, and other flow control devices can also help to stabilize the flow and prevent turbulence. Additionally, the geometry of the flow system can be designed to promote laminar flow.