Age vs. Post Count: A Funny Misinterpretation

• Thread starter BoulderHead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about several forum members who all have birthdays at the same time and have post counts in the teens and twenties. The speaker initially mistakes the ages for post counts and wishes them a happy birthday. They then make a joke about conservation of energy before realizing their mistake and laughing it off.
BoulderHead
All with post counts in the teens and twenties. What are the odds of that?

Happy Birthday;
MrCaN (24), matus1976 (27), mark726 (17), Tek883 (20), Tek4783 (20)

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by BoulderHead
All with post counts in the teens and twenties. What are the odds of that?

Is that a joke? I'm asking because you're not usually this subtle.

Happy Birthday guys!

Happy birthday, never knew that these guys/gals where here on the forums, where do they/you hang?

Originally posted by Tom
Is that a joke? I'm asking because you're not usually this subtle.
Actually I wasn't joking (for once ). I'm used to seeing birthdays being shown (though I've never paid a whole lot of attention to it) but I don't think I'd seen this many at the same time. It struck me too when I saw the post counts so close together. I decided I should wish them all a Happy Birthday and kill 5 birds with the same stone.

Could this be that thing they call Conservation of Energy at work ??

Originally posted by BoulderHead
It struck me too when I saw the post counts so close together.

LOL!

That's exactly what I was talking about when I asked if you were joking. Those weren't their post counts, those were their ages!

Originally posted by Tom
LOL!

That's exactly what I was talking about when I asked if you were joking. Those weren't their post counts, those were their ages!
*slaps head repeatedly while laughing head off*
Well for crying out loud, hahahaha!
What an absolute dunderhead I am
Oh my, the joke is on me, but it sure is a funny one !

Thanks you for setting me straight on that, Tom. :smile:

1. What is the significance of "5 birthdays today"?

"5 birthdays today" refers to the fact that there are five individuals who share the same birth date. This could be considered a coincidence or a statistical anomaly, depending on the context.

2. How common is it for 5 people to have the same birthday?

The likelihood of 5 people sharing the same birth date depends on the size of the group being considered. In a group of 23 people, there is a 50% chance that at least two of them share the same birthday. However, in a group of 365 people, it is almost certain that at least two of them share the same birthday.

3. What factors contribute to the likelihood of 5 people having the same birthday?

The likelihood of 5 people sharing the same birth date is influenced by several factors, including the number of people in the group, the distribution of birthdays throughout the year, and the potential for overlapping social circles or communities.

4. Is there any scientific explanation for 5 people having the same birthday?

While coincidences can occur, there is no scientific explanation for 5 people sharing the same birth date. It is simply a random occurrence that can happen in large groups of people.

5. Are there any cultural or historical significance to 5 people having the same birthday?

No, there is no cultural or historical significance to 5 people sharing the same birth date. It is simply a coincidence and does not hold any special meaning or significance.