Mechatronics Course: Is it a Good Study Subject?

In summary, this is a course which is a combination of mechanical, electrical/electronic, and software engineering. It is a third or fourth year subject at your university and is for getting people into robotics. The focus of the course is controls, specifically linear classical controls of second order systems.
gene
Does anyone know wat is this course about
whether its good to choose it as my studying subject?
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you had a look at the syllabus? I had a course in robotics that was pretty cool. I hate the math of controls, but I was all about building and programming robots.

It sounds like an evil corporation in some futuristic Robots-take-over-the-world movie.

Njorl

yea i raed the syllabus
i';m thinking of it as a course in university
seems quite cool! :)
robotic technology :P

Hi,

I've got a bit of experience in the field. Is this an undergraduate elective (for, say, 3rd or 4th year students)? If so, my guess is it will be an applied controls course, possibly with an integrated lab session. Mechatronics is a cross-disciplinary field; in addition to controls, there should be a strong component of mathematical modeling of physical systems and mechanism/linkage analysis. The practical mechanics and electronics will probably (and regrettably) be glossed over simply because there is so much other material to go other. Again, if this is an undergraduate course, I would guess that the focus would be controls. Specifically, (linear) classical controls of second order systems (a lot of work will be in the Laplace domain, and you'll hopefully develop an intuitive feel for 1st and 2nd order systems along with a newfound respect for the frequency domain).

I could be wrong though; you could spend a lot of time on mechanism synthesis and analysis, working more on kinematics than dynamics. It really depends on the professor and the point they want to get across. If this thread stays alive and I think of anything useful to say, I'll try to remember to do so. Happy decision making...

mechatronics

this is a course which is a combination of mechanical,electrical/electronic and software engineering;that is
according to a certain British university.

Mechatronics is groovy just for the name. Mecha-anything is cool. Mecha-Godzilla. Mecha-Adam.

I think it is a third or fourth year subject at my university, and is for getting people into robotics.

I was thinking about getting into mechatronics. How well does a mechatronics engineer get paid?

i think its like the average engineering courses pay
its whether u're interested in it or not

In today/s world the exposure to Mechatronics is a springboard or passport for everywhere and any thing in the industry.

Those who are savy about electronic /Microcontroller/driven systems /software operated engines, machines, robots/motor driven things sensor controlled systems /Camera controls gets exposed to mechanical plus software plus electronic systems through this course.

You do not do anything other than learning a lot in this subject. All the best.

babu_narsim said:
In today/s world the exposure to Mechatronics is a springboard or passport for everywhere and any thing in the industry.

Those who are savy about electronic /Microcontroller/driven systems /software operated engines, machines, robots/motor driven things sensor controlled systems /Camera controls gets exposed to mechanical plus software plus electronic systems through this course.

You do not do anything other than learning a lot in this subject. All the best.

FYI...this thread is 7 years old.

CS

Does anyone has experience on using Silicon Labs C8051F921 microcontroller? I have a project on a mechatronic system and found this micro-controller from "mouser". But I don't know how to start using it.

1. What is mechatronics?

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science to design and develop intelligent systems and machines.

2. Is mechatronics a good study subject?

Yes, mechatronics is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for professionals in various industries, making it a good study subject for job opportunities and career growth.

3. What skills are required for studying mechatronics?

To excel in mechatronics, you need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and hands-on experience with programming and electronics are beneficial.

4. What career options are available for mechatronics graduates?

Mechatronics graduates can work in various industries, including manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, robotics, and biomedical engineering. They can also pursue careers in research and development, design, testing, and maintenance of complex systems and machines.

5. What are some examples of mechatronics applications in the real world?

Some examples of mechatronics applications include self-driving cars, industrial robots, smart appliances, medical devices, and automated production lines. Mechatronics is also used in advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and 3D printing.