What is the probability of winning with 5 tickets?

In summary, the probability that the woman with 5 tickets will win a prize is 1 - (998/1000 * 997/999 * 996/998 * 995/997 * 994/996) = 0.00901, or 0.901%.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A woman has 5 tickets for a contest. There are 1,000 tickets total. Two tickets out of those 1,000 tickets will deem people as winners and they will receive prizes. What is the probability that the woman with the 5 tickets will win a prize?

Homework Equations

Could you find the complement of the event and subtract the probability of the complement from 1?

The Attempt at a Solution

Complement = P(Not getting a winning ticket)

998 non-winning tickets. Probabilities:

1/998 * 1/997 * 1/996 * 1/995 * 1/994 = P(Not getting a winning ticket)

Subtract the above from one.

However, the fact she has five tickets complicates matters; what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already took into account that she has five tickets when calculating the probability she wouldn't have a winning ticket.

So I can just subtract the complement from 1?

Yup.

Oops, you calculated the probability incorrectly. She has 998 ways out of 1000 to pull the first non-winning ticket, not 1 out of 998, and so on.

vela said:
Oops, you calculated the probability incorrectly. She has 998 ways out of 1000 to pull the first non-winning ticket, not 1 out of 998, and so on.

You're right. I actually calculated it correctly before I transcribed my work to PF. It's 998/1000 * 997/999 * 996/998 ...

Related to What is the probability of winning with 5 tickets?

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual results from conducting an experiment. Theoretical probability is often used to make predictions, while experimental probability is used to analyze and validate those predictions.

4. How does the law of large numbers relate to probability?

The law of large numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability. This means that the more times an event is repeated, the closer the results will be to the predicted probability.

5. How can probability be used in real-life situations?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and decision-making. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions in fields such as finance, sports, and medicine.