What is the probability of odd versus even in a football game?

• Thread starter sophmore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, if you want to know the probability of an event occurring, you can use the Poisson distribution to find the average number of occurrences in a given population.
sophmore
Who can figure this one out?

The topic of discussion amongst my friends and I:

What is the probability of the sum of a football game landing on odd versus even.

My friends say that it is a simple 50/50 coin toss. My rebuttal is that while in football the only integers that can be achieved by one score are: 2 3 6 7 or 8 thus limiting the possibility
of a 50/50 ratio.

2 = safety
3 = field goal
6 = touchdown w/ missed PAT, or missed 2pt. conversion
7 = touchdown w/ made PAT
8 = touchdown w/ made 2pt. conversion

My Hypothesis: Since safeties are rarely scored in a football game, I believe that even has the advantage versus odd.

Now I have read some responses of unrelated topics, and there seems to be a high number of intelligent people subscribed to this forum. Everyone likes to 1-up the next guy, which is good thus creating a large field of answers.

Please approach this question with an open mind, and really give it some thought as I have not come to a conclusion on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org

you can skip the potentially difficult mathematical proof and go to nfl.com and start analyzing actual data.

Since safetys, touchdowns w/ no extra pts, and touchdowns w/ 2 points all are even scores, then they don't change the outcome unless they are the only scoring event in a game (an odd number plus 2,6 or 8 is still an odd number, and even number is still an even number) the only contributors are the odd number scores since it really depends on if there are an odd number of odd scores or not (i.e. touchdown w/ ep and fieldgoals, which are also the most common) so that makes it easieir to think about.

If I were you, id find an estimate of the probability of even vs odd using actual NFL scores, then make a a bunch of bets with your friends that gives you the slight edge (if in fact there is a difference between the two)

As i appreciate your response, I don't think it helps me much. I figured that if I analyzed actual NFL data that I would come up with a rough estimate. I just don't want to have to do that, so I asked if anyone knew a basic formula to figure it out. Can it be proved that it's not a 50/50% chance? I know this isin't a common question in this forum, but I ask if anyone can answer it.

Well, if we assumed that safeties, touchdowns (all 3 kinds separately), and field goals were 'rare events' with independent Poisson distributions, we could find the probabilities of even/odd. Actually we'd need only the chance of the 3 and 7 point ones.

If you can give us the *average* number of touchdown+PAT combinations in a game, plus the *average* number of field goals, we can calculate the probabilities for you.

Related to What is the probability of odd versus even in a football game?

1. What does "figure this one out" mean?

"Figure this one out" is a phrase that is often used when facing a difficult problem or puzzle. It means to find a solution or understand something that may seem complex or challenging.

2. Is there a specific type of person who is good at figuring things out?

No, there is not a specific type of person who is good at figuring things out. Anyone can develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities through practice and experience.

3. How can I improve my ability to figure things out?

One way to improve your ability to figure things out is to practice critical thinking and problem-solving techniques. This can be done through puzzles, brain teasers, and other challenging tasks. Additionally, staying curious and open-minded can also help improve your ability to figure things out.

4. Can anyone figure anything out with enough time and effort?

In most cases, yes. However, some problems may require specialized knowledge or expertise that an individual may not possess. In these cases, seeking help from others or researching the topic may be necessary.

5. Can figuring things out be harmful?

In general, no. However, depending on the situation, constantly trying to figure things out and not taking breaks or seeking help when needed can lead to burnout or stress. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and not become too consumed with figuring things out.