What Is the Probability a Student Doesn't Get an A on Either Exam?

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability that a student does not get an A on the final or the midterm is equal to the sum of the probabilities of not getting an A on the final and not getting an A on the midterm, minus the probability of not getting an A on both the final and the midterm. This can be represented by the equation P(acM)+P(acF)-P(acF & acM). The correct answer can be found by taking 1 minus the probability of getting an A on either the final or the midterm, which is equivalent to P(acF & acM). Therefore, the correct answer is 1 - P(acF & acM) = 0.943.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Probability a student gets an A on the midterm is 13.96%
Probability a student gets an A on the final is 13.12%
Probability a student gets an A on both the final and the midterm is 5.7%
What is the probability that a student doesn't get an A on the final or the midterm?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I would think that the probability of not getting an A on the final or the midterm would be $$P(a_{M}^c)+P(a_{F}^c)-P(a_{F}^c \space \space \mbox{&}\space \space a_{M}^c)$$ Unfortunately I'm not sure what the probability of not getting an A on both the midterm and the final is. Also I'm confused as to why the probability that a student gets an A on the final and the midterm is 5.7%, shouldn't that be equal to Probability of an A on the midterm*probability of an A on the final?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are trying to say that they are NOT two independent events (maybe there are other tests to study for or something).

I think you are on the right track. Maybe if you plug in some numbers you can figure out what P(acF & acM) is?

Likes Potatochip911
You need the probability of the event (NOT getting A on midterm) OR (NOT getting A on final ), that is aMc OR aFc. I is equivalent to the event... (Apply de Morgan's law.)

Getting a mark is not accidental. If the student studies hard it is high probability that he/she gets good marks on both exams.

Likes Potatochip911
paisiello2 said:
I think they are trying to say that they are NOT two independent events (maybe there are other tests to study for or something).

I think you are on the right track. Maybe if you plug in some numbers you can figure out what P(acF & acM) is?
ehild said:
You need the probability of the event (NOT getting A on midterm) OR (NOT getting A on final ), that is aMc OR aFc. I is equivalent to the event... (Apply de Morgan's law.)

Getting a mark is not accidental. If the student studies hard it is high probability that he/she gets good marks on both exams.
I tried taking $$P(A \space \space \mbox{or} \space \space B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A \space \space \mbox{&} \space \space B)$$ and changing it to $$P(A^{c} \space \space \mbox{or} \space \space B^{c})=P(A^c)+P(B^c)-P(A^c \space \space \mbox{&} \space \space B^c)$$ but after I plugged in the values I still got the wrong answer.

Think the event first. What is the complementer of (A and B)?

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Think the event first. What is the complementer of (A and B)?
##A^{c}\mbox{&}B, A\mbox{&}B^c A^c\mbox{&}B^c##?

ehild said:
Okay I managed to get the answer by doing 1-P(A & B)=0.943 since P(A & B) is the only time both scores will be A's so the complements of that event will be when the student doesn't get an A on the midterm and the final.

Potatochip911 said:
Okay I managed to get the answer by doing 1-P(A & B)=0.943 since P(A & B) is the only time both scores will be A's so the complements of that event will be when the student doesn't get an A on the midterm and the final.
It is OR instead of AND.

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
It is OR instead of AND.
Whoops, I see why now.

Potatochip911 said:
I tried taking $$P(A \space \space \mbox{or} \space \space B)=P(A)+P(B)-P(A \space \space \mbox{&} \space \space B)$$ and changing it to $$P(A^{c} \space \space \mbox{or} \space \space B^{c})=P(A^c)+P(B^c)-P(A^c \space \space \mbox{&} \space \space B^c)$$ but after I plugged in the values I still got the wrong answer.

One could argue that the question is ambiguous. To me, it asks for the probability of not getting an A at all, which is ##(A\, \text{or} \,B)^c##, with probability ##1 - P(A \, \text{or} \,B)##. However, others have suggested it is asking for the probability of ##(A^c\, \text{or} \,B^c)##. Which interpretation are you assuming?

The question was 'What is the probability that a student doesn't get an A on the final or the midterm?'. It does not mean not getting an A at all.

ehild said:
The question was 'What is the probability that a student doesn't get an A on the final or the midterm?'. It does not mean not getting an A at all.

If M = get A on mid-term and F = get A on final, then "doesn't get an A on the final or midterm" looks like ##(M \cup F)^c##.

It all depends on whether you distribute things like this: "doesn't get an A on (the final or midterm)", or whether you expand out the 'doesn't' to "doesn't get an A on the final or doesn't get an A on the midterm". It may be 100% clear to you , but it is not to me.

ehild said:
If you ask a student, "Did you get an A on the midterm or the final?" and he says, "No," how could he get an A on either?

ehild said:
You need the probability of the event (NOT getting A on midterm) OR (NOT getting A on final ), that is aMc OR aFc.
English can be poor at expressing logical relationships.
As a native English speaker, I read the question
Potatochip911 said:
What is the probability that a student doesn't get an A on the final or the midterm?
as meaning the student is to get an A on neither the final nor the mid-term. I agree it could be worded better, but I believe that is the intent.
If the intent had been the event that the student doesn't get a double A, I would expect the wording to be more like "What is the probability that a student doesn't get an A on the final or doesn't get an A on the midterm?"
Potatochip911 said:
P(acM)+P(acF)−P(acF & acM)​
With my reading, P(acF & acM) is what you are to determine.

haruspex said:
As a native English speaker, I read the question

as meaning the student is to get an A on neither the final nor the mid-term.

With my reading, P(acF & acM) is what you are to determine.

You are certainly right. I am not an English speaker. I tried to interpret "or" in problem on probability as it was logical "OR" instead of "AND".
We do not know what was the intent of the problem writer. We do not know if the original text was in English. But the OP was happy with his result in Post#8 P = 1-P(A & B).

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Probability a Student Doesn't Get an A on Either Exam?

1. What is basic probability?

Basic probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of events occurring. It involves calculating the chance of a particular outcome happening based on the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on calculations and predictions, while experimental probability is based on actual results from experiments or real-life events. Theoretical probability is often used to make predictions, while experimental probability is used to analyze and validate those predictions.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that are not affected by each other, meaning the outcome of one event does not impact the outcome of the other. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are influenced by each other, meaning the outcome of one event can affect the outcome of the other.

5. What is the significance of probability in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and decision-making. It helps us understand the likelihood of certain events happening and make informed decisions based on that likelihood.