What is the pressure in terms of pi?

I'm glad I could help!In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between volume, temperature, and pressure in an ideal gas. The volume of a fixed mass of gas is doubled while the temperature is increased from 100 K to 400 K. The final pressure is being asked in terms of the initial pressure, represented by the variable pi. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and recognizing that pi is simply a variable name for initial pressure.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

The volume of a fixed mass of an ideal gas is doubled while the temperature is increased from 100 K to 400 K. What is the final pressure in terms of its initial pressure pi?

Homework Equations

in terms of pi? what?? does that stand for ' pressure initial or what'/ how do i go about solivng this>

The Attempt at a Solution

PV=nRT

R= constant = PV/nT

the fixed mass implies that n=constant so
PV/T=PV/T

and plug and solve. but i am still confused about what the pi means? All the mult choice answers are in p.i. as welll

Physics news on Phys.org
Here pi is just a variable name, like x, or y, or P, or V. It's the initial pressure in this case.

thanks gniell

Related to What is the pressure in terms of pi?

1. What does "pressure in terms of pi" mean?

"Pressure in terms of pi" refers to a mathematical expression that relates the pressure of a system to the constant pi (π). This relationship is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the pressure of a system, such as a fluid or gas, based on its dimensions and other properties.

2. How is pressure expressed in terms of pi?

Pressure in terms of pi is typically expressed using the formula P = ρgh/2π, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column. This formula is derived from the hydrostatic equation and is commonly used in fluid mechanics problems.

3. Why is pi used in the expression for pressure?

Pi is used in the expression for pressure because it represents the relationship between a circle's circumference and diameter. In fluid mechanics, the concept of a circle is often used to describe the cross-sectional area of a pipe or container, which affects the pressure of the fluid inside. Therefore, pi is a crucial constant in calculating pressure in terms of fluid dynamics.

4. Can pressure be measured in terms of pi?

No, pressure cannot be measured in terms of pi. Pi is a mathematical constant and cannot be measured in physical units like pressure, which is typically measured in units of force per unit area (such as pounds per square inch or Pascals).

5. What are some real-world applications of pressure in terms of pi?

Pressure in terms of pi has many real-world applications, including calculating the pressure inside pipes or containers, determining the buoyant force on a submerged object, and understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes, pumps, and other systems. It is also used in fields such as meteorology and oceanography to model atmospheric and oceanic pressure systems.