What is the pre‐exponential coefficient for this reaction?

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the rate of a reaction at different temperatures using the given activation energy and pre-exponential coefficient. The use of the Boltzmann constant for the gas constant was discussed, and the resulting values for the rate of reaction at different temperatures were given. The question of whether these values are realistic was also raised, and it was suggested to check online or calculate on one's own using the conversion factor for electron volts to joules.
NoOne0507

Homework Statement

I have two problems with this:
1) I am not sure if I am using the right constant.
2) I have no idea if my values are realistic.

The actual question:

The rate of a reaction is 25.00 units per time at 20.00°C.
The activation energy barrier for this reaction is 1.50 eV.
a) What is the pre‐exponential coefficient for this reaction?
b) What is the rate of reaction at 40.00 °C?
c) What is the rate of reaction at 60.00 °C?
d) What is the rate of reaction at 80.00 °C?
e) What is the rate of reaction at 100.00 °C?

Homework Equations

Boltzmann’s constant k = 8.6173 E ‐5 eV/K

Ra = C*exp[-Q/(RT)]

Ra is rate of reaction
C is constant
Q is activation energy
R is gas constant
T is absolute temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I should use just the Boltzmann Constant for R. Earlier in the homework assignment we did things in eV/atom, and when I converted R from eV/K*mol to eV/K*atom I ended up with the Boltzmann Constant. But if I am wrong please tell me.

And as for the questions these are the numbers I'm getting, I don't know if they are realistic or not, and the fact most of them are in the vague "units per time" doesn't help alleviate any confusion.

a) The preexponential constant is 1.534 E27 units per time
b) At 313.15 K the reaction rate is 1109 units per time
c) At 333.15 K I get 3.120 E4 units per time
d) At 353.15 K I get 6.016 E5 units per time
e) At 373.15 K I get 8.445 E6 units per time

Are these numbers realistic? I don't have grasp on that at all. It is my first time working in Electron Volts. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Easy to check on the web (or to calculate on your own) - eV is just a 1.602176565(35)×10−19 J. As you are given energy per atom, multiplying it by Avogadro's constant will give you energy per mole.

Related to What is the pre‐exponential coefficient for this reaction?

1. What is the pre-exponential coefficient for this reaction?

The pre-exponential coefficient, also known as the frequency factor, is a parameter that represents the frequency of collisions and the orientation of molecules in a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol A and is specific to each reaction.

2. How is the pre-exponential coefficient determined?

The pre-exponential coefficient is usually determined experimentally by measuring the rate of a reaction at different temperatures and using the Arrhenius equation to calculate A. It can also be estimated using theoretical calculations based on the reaction mechanism and the properties of the molecules involved.

3. What factors affect the value of the pre-exponential coefficient?

The value of the pre-exponential coefficient is affected by the nature of the reactants, the temperature, the presence of a catalyst, and the physical conditions of the reaction such as pressure or concentration. It can also be influenced by the experimental method used to determine it.

4. Can the pre-exponential coefficient change over time?

The pre-exponential coefficient is a constant at a specific temperature, but it can change with changes in temperature. It is also possible for the frequency factor to change if the reaction conditions or reactants are altered. However, for a specific reaction at a specific temperature, the pre-exponential coefficient remains constant.

5. What is the significance of the pre-exponential coefficient in a chemical reaction?

The pre-exponential coefficient is an important parameter in chemical kinetics as it helps determine the rate of a reaction. It provides information about the energy barriers and the efficiency of collisions between molecules. A higher pre-exponential coefficient indicates a faster reaction rate, while a lower value suggests a slower rate.