What is the power dissipated in the 5 ohm resistor in this complex circuit?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit with a 12 volt battery and multiple resistors in series and parallel. The question is asking for the power dissipated in the 5 ohm resistor. To find this, the circuit needs to be simplified and the total current and voltage drop across the branches must be calculated. This will allow for the calculation of the current in the 5 ohm branch and ultimately, the power dissipated.
daiviko
ok there is a picture that goes along with it, i will try and draw it in as best i can.
We've got a 12 volt battery. a 4 ohm resistor is in series with this big thing I am going to describe next. A two ohm and 1 ohm resistor that are in series are in parallel with a 5 ohm and 1 ohm resistor that are also in series. What is the power dissipated in the 5 ohm resistor?

____2ohm__1ohm___
l--4ohm--l____5ohm__1ohm__l
l l
l l
—————12v---------------------

i doubt that will come out okay but w/e

Physics news on Phys.org
dang it..

You need to find the currents and voltages of the circuit. Just keep simplifying the circuit by combining series and parallel resistances into effective resistances. Once you find the total effective resistance seen by the load, you can find the total current. This current, by Kirchoff's Current Law, must be split up between the parallel branches that you have. So you then need to know the voltage drop across the branches to find the currents in the individual branches. Once you have the current in the 5 Ohm branch, you can find the power.

Related to What is the power dissipated in the 5 ohm resistor in this complex circuit?

1. What is the purpose of solving AP physics B circuits problems?

The purpose of solving AP physics B circuits problems is to understand and apply the principles of electricity and magnetism, and to develop problem-solving skills. These problems also help students to prepare for the AP Physics B exam.

2. What are the main components of a circuit?

The main components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery), conductors (such as wires), resistors, capacitors, and switches. These components work together to control the flow of electric current.

3. How do you determine the total resistance in a series circuit?

To determine the total resistance in a series circuit, you add up the individual resistances of each component. This can be done using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or by using the formula for resistors in series (Rt = R1 + R2 + R3...).

4. What is the difference between a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing for multiple paths for the current to flow. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the individual resistances.

5. How do you calculate the current and voltage in a circuit?

To calculate the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) or Kirchhoff's Current Law (the sum of currents entering a junction equals the sum of currents leaving the junction). To calculate the voltage, you can use Ohm's Law (V = I*R) or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop equals the voltage supplied by the source).