What is the positive integer value of $n$ if $3^{n} + 81$ is a perfect square?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a positive integer value of $n$ for which $3^{n} +81$ is a perfect square. It is mentioned that for $n\leq 4$, the expression is not a perfect square. Then, by setting $n=k+4$, it is shown that $3^{n} +81$ is a perfect square and that $x$ must be a positive integer. The conversation then ends with a question about how to solve for $n$.
juantheron
If $3^{n} +81$ is a perfect square, find a positive integer value of $n$.

My Trail::
When $n\leq 4,$ then easy to know that $3^{n} +81$ is not a perfect square.

Now let $\displaystyle n = k +4 (k\in \mathbb{Z^{+}}),$ then $3^{N} +81 = 81 (3^{k} +1).$

So $3^{N} +81$ is a perfect square, and $81$ is square,

there must be a positive integer $x,$ such that

$3^{k}+1 = x^2\Rightarrow 3^k = (x-1)\cdot (x+1)$

Now How can i solve after that

Help me

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would write:

\(\displaystyle 3^n+81=m^2\)

\(\displaystyle 3^n=(m+9)(m-9)\)

Now, observing that:

\(\displaystyle 18+9=27=3^3\) and \(\displaystyle 18-9=9=3^2\)

What value do we obtain for $n$?

jacks said:
If $3^{n} +81$ is a perfect square, find a positive integer value of $n$.

Hello.

[tex]3^n+81[/tex], It cannot be a perfect square, For being, both, odd numbers.

Demostration:

[tex](2n-1)^2+(2m-1)^2=4(n^2+m^2)-4(n+m)+2=[/tex]

[tex]=2[2(n^2+m^2)-2(n+m)+1][/tex]

The square root, of the latter expression, has to be an irrational number, for being divisible, only once for "2".

Regards.

mente oscura said:
$3^n+81$, It cannot be a perfect square

False. I can find a precise value $n$ for which the above is a perfect square.

Hint : Prove that $18$ is divisible by $m - 9$.

mathbalarka said:
False. I can find a precise value $n$ for which the above is a perfect square.

Hello.

I am sorry. Really, I have considered "n", even number and, it is not possible, but yes it can be an odd number.

Regards.

Related to What is the positive integer value of $n$ if $3^{n} + 81$ is a perfect square?

What is the meaning of "Positive integer value of n"?

"Positive integer value of n" refers to any whole number that is greater than zero. In other words, it is a number that can be counted using positive whole numbers, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

What is the importance of "Positive integer value of n" in scientific research?

"Positive integer value of n" is important in scientific research because it allows us to quantify and measure data. By assigning numbers to different variables, we can analyze and compare data to make meaningful conclusions and predictions.

How is "Positive integer value of n" different from other types of numbers?

"Positive integer value of n" is different from other types of numbers because it is a whole number that is greater than zero. This means it cannot be a decimal or a fraction, and it cannot be negative.

Can "Positive integer value of n" be used in all types of scientific studies?

Yes, "Positive integer value of n" can be used in all types of scientific studies. It is a universal concept that is applicable in various fields of scientific research, such as mathematics, biology, physics, and more.

How do scientists determine the "Positive integer value of n" in their experiments?

Scientists determine the "Positive integer value of n" in their experiments by carefully designing and conducting their studies. They may use statistical methods and calculations to determine the appropriate sample size and number of participants needed to achieve reliable results.