What is the Polytropic Exponent, n Value for a Singular Repeating Compressor?

In summary, the Polytropic Exponent, n value, is a thermodynamic parameter denoted by the letter 'n' and is used to describe the relationship between pressure and volume in a system undergoing a polytropic process. It helps to determine the efficiency of the process and can provide insights into the physical properties of the system. The value can be calculated using a formula or determined experimentally, and can range from 0 to infinity. It differs from the Adiabatic Exponent, γ value, in terms of application and applicability to ideal and real gases.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

So, after performing an experiment a number of times, to calculate the efficiency of a singular repeating compressor, I have found n ≈ 1 i.e. it equals 1.01... in all of my found values. I've now been asked to classify the type of process. Seeing as technically n > 0 and n< Cp/Cv I could classify it as a polytropic process. However, is n small enough for me to assume it's isothermal?

Homework Equations

PVn = PVn

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

Related to What is the Polytropic Exponent, n Value for a Singular Repeating Compressor?

What is the Polytropic Exponent, n value?

The Polytropic Exponent, n value, is a thermodynamic parameter used to describe the relationship between pressure and volume in a system undergoing a polytropic process. It is denoted by the letter 'n' and is typically a positive number.

What is the significance of the Polytropic Exponent, n value?

The Polytropic Exponent, n value, is used to characterize the behavior of a system undergoing a polytropic process, which is a process where both pressure and volume change. It helps to determine the efficiency of the process and can also provide insights into the physical properties of the system.

How is the Polytropic Exponent, n value, calculated?

The Polytropic Exponent, n value, can be calculated using the formula n = (Cp/Cv), where Cp and Cv are the specific heats at constant pressure and volume, respectively. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the pressure and volume at different states of the system and using a logarithmic plot to find the slope, which will be equal to 'n'.

What are the possible values of the Polytropic Exponent, n value?

The Polytropic Exponent, n value, can range from 0 to infinity, depending on the specific process and system being analyzed. In most cases, it falls between 1 and 1.5 for ideal gases, but for real gases, it can vary significantly depending on the properties of the gas.

How does the Polytropic Exponent, n value, differ from the Adiabatic Exponent, γ value?

The Polytropic Exponent, n value, and the Adiabatic Exponent, γ value, are both thermodynamic parameters used to describe the behavior of a system, but they have different applications. The Polytropic Exponent is used for polytropic processes, while the Adiabatic Exponent is used for adiabatic processes. Additionally, the Adiabatic Exponent is only applicable to ideal gases, whereas the Polytropic Exponent can be used for both ideal and real gases.