What is the physical meaning of the continuity equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical meaning of the continuity equation in electrodynamic problems. The equation states that the change in charge density over time is equal to the flux of charge through a closed surface. The discussion also mentions the use of the continuity equation in open book exams and forums.
angel 42

Homework Statement

I'm new here and I would like to ask a simple Q:
what is the physical meaning of the continuity equation
from (electrodynamic 1) I mean it's related to the electromagnatic problems

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer in my language it's easy but I like to see it in english

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

The continuity equation is,
[tex]\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t}+\vec{\nabla}\cdot\vec{j}=0.[/tex]

It means:
If you take a mathematical closed surface in the space (it means that your surface could be not a real one but yous an imaginary boundary), if the number of charge particles inside your boundary change on time, is because the missing ones have crossed.

That is, the change of the charge density on times is equal to the flux of charge through the surface enclosing the volume.

I hope it would be useful to you. Regards.

Likes Vaishali Chaubey
thanks Dox by the way I do Know the answer but I try to write it in english in my open book exam, and that is close to mine

and this word is to the physics furoms
be ware I'm coming

Related to What is the physical meaning of the continuity equation

1. What is the physical meaning of the continuity equation?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of a conserved quantity, such as mass or energy, within a given region remains constant over time. In other words, it means that what goes into a system must equal what comes out, and there can be no creation or destruction of the conserved quantity.

2. Why is the continuity equation important in physics?

The continuity equation is important because it describes the conservation of a fundamental physical quantity. This allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems in various physical processes, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and electromagnetism.

3. How is the continuity equation applied in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, the continuity equation, also known as the conservation of mass equation, is used to describe the conservation of mass in a fluid. It states that the mass of a fluid flowing into a given region must equal the mass flowing out of that region. This allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations, such as in pipes, pumps, and turbines.

4. Can the continuity equation be applied to other physical quantities besides mass?

Yes, the continuity equation can be applied to other conserved quantities, such as energy and momentum. In these cases, the equation takes a slightly different form, but the underlying principle remains the same - the total amount of the conserved quantity within a given region remains constant over time.

5. What is the relationship between the continuity equation and the conservation of energy?

The continuity equation and the conservation of energy are closely related. In fact, the continuity equation can be derived from the conservation of energy principle. This is because the total amount of energy within a system must also remain constant over time, just like any conserved quantity described by the continuity equation.