What is the perimeter of triangle ABC?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, to find the perimeter of triangle ABC, we use the distance formula to find the distance between each pair of vertices and then add them together. For the second part, we can find the perimeter of the triangle formed by connecting the midpoints of the sides of triangle ABC by using the midpoint formula to find the midpoint of each side and then applying the distance formula. However, we can also simply divide the perimeter of triangle ABC by 2 to get the perimeter of the smaller triangle.
mathdad
The vertices of triangle ABC are A(1,1), B(9, 3) and C(3, 5).

A. Find the perimeter of triangle ABC.

B. Find the perimeter of the triangle that is formed by joining the midpoints of the three sides of triangle ABC.

For part A, must I use the distance formula for points on the xy-plane 3 times and then add all 3 sides to find the perimeter?

For B, must I use the midpoint formula to find the midpoint of all 3 sides of triangle ABC? After finding all 3 midpoints, I then repeat part A?

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That's right. :)

Suppose the vertices of a triangle are at:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_1,y_1\right),\,\left(x_2,y_2\right),\,\left(x_3,y_3\right)\)

And so the perimeter $P$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle P=\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_2\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_2\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_3\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_2-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_2-y_3\right)^2}\)

Now, if we take the mid-points of the sides of the original triangle as vertices of a second triangle, we find its perimeter $P_2$ is:

\(\displaystyle P_2=\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_1+x_2}{2}-\frac{x_2+x_3}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}-\frac{y_2+y_3}{2}\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_2+x_3}{2}-\frac{x_3+x_1}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_2+y_3}{2}-\frac{y_3+y_1}{2}\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_3+x_1}{2}-\frac{x_1+x_2}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_3+y_1}{2}-\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\right)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle P_2=\frac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_3\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_2\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_2\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_2-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_2-y_3\right)^2}\right)=\frac{1}{2}P\)

You see, when you connect the mid-points of the sides of a triangle, you divide that triangle into 4 congruent triangles all similar to the original. Draw a sketch to see this more clearly. Thus, the smaller triangles are 1/4 the area of the original, and being similar to the original means that all corresponding sides are 1/2 that of the original, and so the perimeters of the smaller triangles are 1/2 that of the original. :)

MarkFL said:
Suppose the vertices of a triangle are at:

\(\displaystyle \left(x_1,y_1\right),\,\left(x_2,y_2\right),\,\left(x_3,y_3\right)\)

And so the perimeter $P$ is given by:

\(\displaystyle P=\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_2\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_2\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_3\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_2-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_2-y_3\right)^2}\)

Now, if we take the mid-points of the sides of the original triangle as vertices of a second triangle, we find its perimeter $P_2$ is:

\(\displaystyle P_2=\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_1+x_2}{2}-\frac{x_2+x_3}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}-\frac{y_2+y_3}{2}\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_2+x_3}{2}-\frac{x_3+x_1}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_2+y_3}{2}-\frac{y_3+y_1}{2}\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(\frac{x_3+x_1}{2}-\frac{x_1+x_2}{2}\right)^2+\left(\frac{y_3+y_1}{2}-\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\right)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle P_2=\frac{1}{2}\left(\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_3\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_1-x_2\right)^2+\left(y_1-y_2\right)^2}+\sqrt{\left(x_2-x_3\right)^2+\left(y_2-y_3\right)^2}\right)=\frac{1}{2}P\)

You see, when you connect the mid-points of the sides of a triangle, you divide that triangle into 4 congruent triangles all similar to the original. Draw a sketch to see this more clearly. Thus, the smaller triangles are 1/4 the area of the original, and being similar to the original means that all corresponding sides are 1/2 that of the original, and so the perimeters of the smaller triangles are 1/2 that of the original. :)

What a great reply! I actually learned something today.

Part A

Let P = perimeter of triangle ABC.

Let d = distance between the given points.

d(A,B) = sqrt{9-1)^2 + (3-1)^2}

d(A,B) = sqrt{64 + 4}

d(A,B) = sqrt{68}

d(B,C) = sqrt{(3-3)^2 + (5-9)^2}

d(B,C) = sqrt{0 + 16}

d((B,C) = sqrt{16}

d(B,C) = 4

d(A,C) = sqrt{(3-1)^2 + (5-1)^2}

d(A,C) = sqrt{4 + 16}

d(A,C) = sqrt{20}

P = d(A,B) + d(B,C) + d(A,C)

P = sqrt{68} + 4 + sqrt{20}

P = 4 + 2√5 + 2√17

Yes?

Part B

Let P_2 = perimeter for the triangle

Let d_2 = distance between vertices of the second triangle

The midpoint of AB = (5, 2).

The midpoint of BC = (6,4).

The midpoint of AC = (2,3).

d_2(x,y) = sqrt{(6-5)^2 + (4-2)^2}

d_2(x,y) = sqrt{1 + 4}

d_2(x,y) = sqrt{5}

d_2(y,z) = sqrt{(2-6)^2 + (3-4)^2}

d_2(y,z) = sqtt{16 + 1}

d_2(y,z) = sqrt{17}

d_2(x,z) = sqrt{(2-5)^2 + (3-2)^2}

d_2(x,z) = sqrt{9 + 1}

d_2(x,z) = sqrt{10}

P_2 = √5 + √17 + √10

P_2 = √17 + √5 (1 + √2)

Yes?

Your answer to the first part of the problem isn't correct, and why would you not simply divide by 2 to get the answer to the second part of the problem?

MarkFL said:
Your answer to the first part of the problem isn't correct, and why would you not simply divide by 2 to get the answer to the second part of the problem?

For Part A, I used the distance formula 3 times:

I found the distance from A to B, B to C, and finally A to C.
Are you saying that I made a calculation error? Are you saying the correct order is to find the distance from A to B, A to C, and then B to C?

RTCNTC said:
For Part A, I used the distance formula 3 times:

I found the distance from A to B, B to C, and finally A to C.
Are you saying that I made a calculation error? Are you saying the correct order is to find the distance from A to B, A to C, and then B to C?

You made an error when putting the coordinates into the distance formula (recheck that). The method (which is more important to understand) you did correctly, it was simply the application where you made a minor error.

My main concern was that you then used the same method for the second part of the problem, when all you need to do is divide the result of the first part by 2 to get that answer. :)

MarkFL said:
You made an error when putting the coordinates into the distance formula (recheck that). The method (which is more important to understand) you did correctly, it was simply the application where you made a minor error.

My main concern was that you then used the same method for the second part of the problem, when all you need to do is divide the result of the first part by 2 to get that answer. :)

Ok. Can you show me the right way to plug the coordinates of points A, B, and C into the distance formula?

RTCNTC said:
Ok. Can you show me the right way to plug the coordinates of points A, B, and C into the distance formula?

You need to make sure that x's and y's are put in their respective places. In post #5, you state:

d(B,C) = sqrt{(3-3)^2 + (5-9)^2}

The points B and C were given as:

B(9, 3) and C(3, 5)

So, what you want is:

\(\displaystyle d(B,C)=\sqrt{(9-3)^2 + (3-5)^2}=2\sqrt{10}\)

Your other distances are correct, so we have:

\(\displaystyle P=2\sqrt{10}+2\sqrt{5}+2\sqrt{17}\)

And so then we easily find:

\(\displaystyle P_2=\sqrt{10}+\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{17}\)

This value for $P_2$ agrees with the result you found, because in finding $P_2$ you correctly applied the distance formula for all three sides (even though I was trying to encourage you to simply divide $P$ by 2 to get there). :)

B(9, 3) and C(3, 5)

sqrt{(9-3)^2 + (3-5)^2} = sqrt{(3-9)^2 + (5-2)^2} because we are squaring in the radicand. True?

RTCNTC said:
B(9, 3) and C(3, 5)

sqrt{(9-3)^2 + (3-5)^2} = sqrt{(3-9)^2 + (5-2)^2} because we are squaring in the radicand. True?

Yes, it doesn't matter which point we call point 1 and the other point 2 because the distance from point 1 to point 2 is the same as the distance from point 2 to point 1.

MarkFL said:
Yes, it doesn't matter which point we call point 1 and the other point 2 because the distance from point 1 to point 2 is the same as the distance from point 2 to point 1.

Cool. Many students do not know this fact.

(-a)^2 = (a)^2

Related to What is the perimeter of triangle ABC?

1. What is the definition of perimeter?

The perimeter of a shape is the distance around the outer edge of the shape.

2. How is the perimeter of a triangle calculated?

The perimeter of a triangle is calculated by adding together the lengths of all three sides.

3. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a triangle is P = a + b + c, where a, b, and c are the lengths of the three sides.

4. Can the perimeter of a triangle be negative?

No, the perimeter of a triangle cannot be negative as it represents a physical distance and cannot be less than zero.

5. Is the perimeter of triangle ABC the same as the perimeter of triangle XYZ?

No, the perimeter of triangle ABC will only be the same as the perimeter of triangle XYZ if all three sides of each triangle are equal in length.