What is the peak force between two pool balls in a pool shot?

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the peak force between two pool balls in a pool shot and the momentum transferred to the object ball. The mass and velocity of the cue ball are estimated, as well as the time of contact between the two balls. The force is then compared to the force of gravity or the normal force from the table on each ball. A calculation error in the momentum is pointed out and the correct force is determined to be 667 N, which is much larger than the force of gravity.
fk378

Homework Statement

What is the peak force between two pool balls in a pool shot? Estimate the momentum transferred to the object ball in a hard pool shot. Estimate (or look up) masses and velocities. For how long are two pool balls in contact? The time can be approximated by the length of time it takes a sound wave to cross a pool ball. Put it all together and compare it to the force of gravity or hte normal force from the table on each ball.

Homework Equations

p=mv
F=dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Estimations:
mass of cue ball- .16 kg
velocity of cue ball- .7 m/s
-->p=.229 kg m/s
speed of sound- 340.29 m/s
length of cue ball- (2.25 in)(.0254 m/in)=.05715 m
-->speed of sound across a cue ball=1.68E-4 s
--> F=dp/dt=(.229 kg m/s)/(1.68E-4 s)=1360 N
and
F_g=mg=(.16 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)=1.57 N

The force that I got is WAY too high, but I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have made an error calculating the momentum. The equation is p = mv, but it looks like you calculated m/v.

When I calculated the momentum, I got 0.112 kg m/s, not 0.229 kg m/s

Well, now when I calculated the force I get 667 N. Which is still pretty high. And much higher than F_g. Can this be right?

Of course the force is much larger than mg: compare the forces you feel when (i) you gently put a pool ball at rest on your head (=mg), and (ii) the pool ball hits your head at some typical speed and bounces off.

Related to What is the peak force between two pool balls in a pool shot?

1. How is the force between pool balls calculated?

The force between pool balls is calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). The mass and acceleration of each ball involved in the collision are taken into account to determine the force.

2. Does the speed of the pool balls affect the force between them?

Yes, the speed of the pool balls does affect the force between them. The faster the balls are moving, the greater the force of impact will be. This is because a greater speed results in a greater acceleration, which in turn increases the force according to Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What factors affect the amount of force between pool balls?

The amount of force between pool balls is affected by several factors, including the mass of the balls, their speed, the angle of impact, and the coefficient of restitution (how much energy is lost during the collision). Friction and spin can also play a role in the force between pool balls.

4. Can the force between pool balls be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate the force between pool balls. Even if the balls are moving at a very slow speed, there will still be some force of impact due to their mass and acceleration. However, reducing the speed and angle of impact can significantly decrease the force.

5. How does the force between pool balls affect their trajectory?

The force between pool balls affects their trajectory by causing them to change direction and speed. When two balls collide, the force of impact will cause them to move away from each other at different angles and speeds, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. This can result in complex patterns and paths for the balls to follow.