What is the pattern of circular wavefronts produced by a moving source?

• Thread starter Peter G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses how to draw four successive wavefronts from a moving wave source, with the spacing of the wavefronts being equal to the wavelength. The source moves to the right with a speed of 1/2 V and the conversation also includes a question about the circular wavefronts originating from four successive source positions. The solution involves using a compass and ruler to mark the positions of the source and draw circles representing the wavefronts.
Peter G.
Hi, :smile:

The diagram below shows wavefronts produced by a stationary wave source, S. The spacing of the wavefronts is equal to the wavelength of the waves. The wavefronts travel with a speed V.

a) The source S now moves to the right with speed 1/2 V. In the space below, draw four successive wavefronts to show the pattern of waves produced by the moving source.

Ok, so I am in doubt: Should my all my four wavefronts to the right have half the wavelength of the original diagram? And then, to the left, the distance between the wavefronts should be twice the original wavelength?

I am asking this because in my original answer I couldn't check off from the marking scheme:

approximately correct spacing of wavefronts in front and behind source.

Furthermore, what is meant by circular wavefronts originating from four successive source positions? How do I show four different source positions? I have the source as a point, supported by an arrow showing the rightward movement)

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will need a compass and ruler.
Mark a dot on the right side of your paper for the LAST position of the source. Imagine a circle of radius zero around it - the source has just emitted a circular wave at time 4 periods. Go in the past 1 period. The source travels one half wavelength in that time. Say the wavelength is 1 cm. Then in the past 1 period, it will be one half wavelength to the left - mark a dot. Since one period has elapsed since that was the position, make a circle around it one wavelength in radius. Continue another period in the past and draw a circle another wavelength larger. And so on.

Related to What is the pattern of circular wavefronts produced by a moving source?

1. What is the Doppler Effect Diagram Problem?

The Doppler Effect Diagram Problem refers to a physics concept that describes the change in frequency and wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. This effect is commonly observed in everyday life, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by.

2. How is the Doppler Effect Diagram Problem used in science?

The Doppler Effect Diagram Problem is used in various fields of science, including astronomy, meteorology, and acoustics. It allows scientists to understand the motion and speed of objects by analyzing the change in frequency and wavelength of waves emitted by them.

3. What factors affect the Doppler Effect Diagram Problem?

The Doppler Effect Diagram Problem is affected by the relative velocity between the source and observer, as well as the speed of the wave. In addition, the direction and angle of the motion also play a role in determining the amount of change in frequency and wavelength.

4. How can the Doppler Effect Diagram Problem be visualized?

The Doppler Effect Diagram Problem can be visualized through a diagram that shows the motion of the source and observer, as well as the direction of the waves. The change in frequency and wavelength can be represented by the compression and stretching of the wave pattern.

5. What are the real-life applications of the Doppler Effect Diagram Problem?

The Doppler Effect Diagram Problem has several real-life applications, such as in radar and sonar systems, where it is used to determine the speed and direction of moving objects. It is also used in medical ultrasound imaging to detect the motion of blood flow in the body.