What is the Outcome of the Christmas Math Challenge Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about a person wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and presenting a math challenge related to the holiday. They also share a traditional Christmas song and thank someone for participating in their challenge. The challenge involves finding the value of an equation and the person shares their own solution.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hey MHB, I am back, fully recover from food poisoning and first off, I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone and their family a very happy and Merry Christmas, much luck, good health and all good things of life. I hope you guys are able to spend it with loved ones!(Inlove)

1469966_10151725500306050_1957576524_n.jpg

I want to also present a "Christmas Math Challenge" as a gift to my friends (all of you are my friends, aren't you?:p) here today!:eek:$a$ satisfies the equation $\left(a+\dfrac{1}{a}+1 \right)\left(a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)=1$.

What is the value of $\left(a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}+1 \right)\left(a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}} \right)$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hey MHB, I am back, fully recover from food poisoning and first off, I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone and their family a very happy and Merry Christmas, much luck, good health and all good things of life. I hope you guys are able to spend it with loved ones!(Inlove)

1469966_10151725500306050_1957576524_n.jpg

I want to also present a "Christmas Math Challenge" as a gift to my friends (all of you are my friends, aren't you?:p) here today!:eek:$a$ satisfies the equation $\left(a+\dfrac{1}{a}+1 \right)\left(a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)=1$.

What is the value of $\left(a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}+1 \right)\left(a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}} \right)$?

... with simple steps You find that $\displaystyle a^{4} + a^{3} + a^{2} + a + 1 = 0$, i.e. a must be one of the fifth roots of 1 with the only exclusion of a= 1, so that in any case is $\displaystyle a^{20}=1$...

View attachment 1800

Merry Christmas from Serbia

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• eb191d59c14248f1e362dd5eb1d3102c.jpg
    eb191d59c14248f1e362dd5eb1d3102c.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 65
12daysopt02.jpg

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
2 Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fourth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the sixth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

Expand to $a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1=0$.
Multiply by $(a-1)$ to give $a^5-1=0$.
So $a^5 = 1$ and therefore $a^{20}=1$ (with $a$ neither rational nor real).
Substitute to find:
$$(1+\frac 1 1 + 1)(1 + \frac 1 1) = 6$$

It's 6 Geese a Laying!

Merry Chrismas! (Clapping) (Inlove)

chisigma said:
... with simple steps You find that $\displaystyle a^{4} + a^{3} + a^{2} + a + 1 = 0$, i.e. a must be one of the fifth roots of 1 with the only exclusion of a= 1, so that in any case is $\displaystyle a^{20}=1$...

View attachment 1800

Merry Christmas from Serbia

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you chisigma for participating! Your answer is correct! :)

I like Serena said:
12daysopt02.jpg

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
2 Turtle Doves

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fourth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the sixth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

Expand to $a^4+a^3+a^2+a+1=0$.
Multiply by $(a-1)$ to give $a^5-1=0$.
So $a^5 = 1$ and therefore $a^{20}=1$ (with $a$ neither rational nor real).
Substitute to find:
$$(1+\frac 1 1 + 1)(1 + \frac 1 1) = 6$$

It's 6 Geese a Laying!

Merry Chrismas! (Clapping) (Inlove)

Hey I like Serena, thanks for the greetings and participating in my challenge problem and the way you solved the problem has opened my eyes to know other method to tackle problem such as this!

My solution:

I noticed

$a^2+\dfrac{1}{a^2} =a^8+\dfrac{1}{a^8}=1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$,$a^4+\dfrac{1}{a^4}=a^{16}+\dfrac{1}{a^{16}}=\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$, $a^{12}+\dfrac{1}{a^{12}}=-1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$

$\therefore \left( a^4+\dfrac{1}{a^4} \right) \left( a^{16}+\dfrac{1}{a^{16}}\right)=1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$

and this gives

$a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}+a^{12}+\dfrac{1}{a^{12}}=1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$

$a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}-1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)=1-\left( a+\dfrac{1}{a} \right)$

$a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}=2$

therefore $\left( a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}}+1 \right) \left( a^{20}+\dfrac{1}{a^{20}} \right)=(2+1)(2)=6$

I am glad to see you have fully recovered from food poisoning and I wish you and your loved ones a happy and Merry Christmas as well. I appreciate your Christmas Math Challenge and I believe it is a fun way to celebrate the holiday season.

Regarding the given equation, I would approach it by first simplifying it to $\left(a^2 + a + 1\right)\left(a + 1\right) = 1$. From here, we can see that $a^2 + a + 1 = \frac{1}{a+1}$. Multiplying both sides by $a+1$ gives us $a^3 + 2a^2 + 2a + 1 = 0$. This can be factored as $(a+1)^3 = 0$, so $a=-1$.

Substituting this value of $a$ into the given expression, we get $\left((-1)^{20}+\dfrac{1}{(-1)^{20}}+1 \right)\left((-1)^{20}+\dfrac{1}{(-1)^{20}} \right) = (1+1+1)(1+1) = 3 \times 2 = \boxed{6}$.

I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful Christmas and I look forward to more mathematical challenges in the future.

Related to What is the Outcome of the Christmas Math Challenge Equation?

1. What is the meaning of "Find the value of the product?"

The phrase "Find the value of the product" typically refers to determining the numerical result of multiplying two or more numbers or variables together.

2. How do I find the value of a product?

To find the value of a product, you simply need to multiply the numbers or variables together. For example, to find the value of 4 x 3, you would multiply 4 and 3 to get a product of 12.

3. What are some strategies for finding the value of a product?

Some strategies for finding the value of a product include using mental math, using a calculator, breaking the numbers into smaller parts, and using the distributive property.

4. Can the order of the numbers affect the value of the product?

Yes, the order of the numbers can affect the value of the product. For example, 2 x 3 is not the same as 3 x 2. This is because the commutative property of multiplication states that the order of the numbers does not change the product, but the associative property states that the grouping of the numbers can change the product.

5. How is finding the value of a product useful in real life?

Finding the value of a product is useful in many real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of multiple items, determining the area of a rectangle, and understanding compound interest in finance. It is also a fundamental skill in mathematics and can help improve problem-solving abilities.